DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Another Scam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/485462-another-scam.html)

Rick L. Allen September 29th, 2010 03:09 PM

Another Scam

Yet another video scam from overseas;

"Hello,

My name is Andrea Purdon from M&G Investment International UK. I
want to know if there is any availability for 10 guests that needs
cameras, DVD, operator, recordings, venue for their meeting, microphones and audio equipments for their meeting. They are coming from UK for annual business meeting in your city. If there is availability, kindly let me know about the dates and the quotes.

They are looking forward to Arrival on 26th of October 2010. The ONLY mode Of Payment is :Visa , Master or Amex Card.Write me immediately with an update on the list of all the services you can offer and available at that time. Call me anytime.

Andrea Purdon."

Nick DeMao November 25th, 2010 12:29 PM

My favorite scams are the ones on Craigslist that are A) deferred pay, B) require you to bring your own equipment, and C) require you to pay an up-front fee

Shaun Roemich November 28th, 2010 11:04 PM

In my market, you can shorten this significantly to read:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick DeMao (Post 1592017)
My favorite scams are the ones on Craigslist

Rick L. Allen December 9th, 2010 05:25 AM

Yet Another Scam

Here's the text;

"Hello,
I saw your contact info on Mandy.com.How are you doing?Hope everything is doing well with you..If so splendid.Am just writing this little mail to ask if you would be able to assist my Awesome daughter(KATE) on her birthday party that will commence towards the ending of december.We will be relocating to your city in usa nebraska in couple of weeks to come. Kindly mail me back here Phil_palour@me.com,because I do check my mail often.....if you're not occupied.
Best regards...
Thanks.
Phil."

How do you know it's a scam?
1. The false familiarity and bad English with poor grammar.
2. Mandy.com is a pro site and doesn't cater to wedding/event videographers.
3. I don't live in Nebraska (Mandy.com lists 0 videographers in Nebraska).

Kevin McRoberts December 9th, 2010 12:18 PM

Rick, I got that same exact email twice... once saying he and his awesome daughter were relocating to DC, the other that they were relocating to Virginia :D

oh, that, and the IP address comes up under a service provider in Nigeria...

Josh Bass December 9th, 2010 05:50 PM

I just got that one today! Does this mean I'm special? I was going to post it on here and ask if it was a scam.

First clue. . .bad grammar (though he could just be a moron like the originators of 90% of all video-related CL ads).

Second---. . ."your city." Sounds like a form SPAM, if you will. Like he sent it to a bunch of different people without customizing it. I'm very disappointed. I would like to see that you are passionate about your work as a scam artist, and put the time into it by using "Houston" instead.