Another Scam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Another Scam

Yet another video scam from overseas;

"Hello,

My name is Andrea Purdon from M&G Investment International UK. I
want to know if there is any availability for 10 guests that needs
cameras, DVD, operator, recordings, venue for their meeting, microphones and audio equipments for their meeting. They are coming from UK for annual business meeting in your city. If there is availability, kindly let me know about the dates and the quotes.

They are looking forward to Arrival on 26th of October 2010. The ONLY mode Of Payment is :Visa , Master or Amex Card.Write me immediately with an update on the list of all the services you can offer and available at that time. Call me anytime.

Andrea Purdon."
Old November 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #2
New Boot

My favorite scams are the ones on Craigslist that are A) deferred pay, B) require you to bring your own equipment, and C) require you to pay an up-front fee
Nick DeMao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
In my market, you can shorten this significantly to read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick DeMao View Post
My favorite scams are the ones on Craigslist
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #4
Major Player

Yet Another Scam

Here's the text;

"Hello,
I saw your contact info on Mandy.com.How are you doing?Hope everything is doing well with you..If so splendid.Am just writing this little mail to ask if you would be able to assist my Awesome daughter(KATE) on her birthday party that will commence towards the ending of december.We will be relocating to your city in usa nebraska in couple of weeks to come. Kindly mail me back here Phil_palour@me.com,because I do check my mail often.....if you're not occupied.
Best regards...
Thanks.
Phil."

How do you know it's a scam?
1. The false familiarity and bad English with poor grammar.
2. Mandy.com is a pro site and doesn't cater to wedding/event videographers.
3. I don't live in Nebraska (Mandy.com lists 0 videographers in Nebraska).
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Rick, I got that same exact email twice... once saying he and his awesome daughter were relocating to DC, the other that they were relocating to Virginia :D

oh, that, and the IP address comes up under a service provider in Nigeria...
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

I just got that one today! Does this mean I'm special? I was going to post it on here and ask if it was a scam.

First clue. . .bad grammar (though he could just be a moron like the originators of 90% of all video-related CL ads).

Second---. . ."your city." Sounds like a form SPAM, if you will. Like he sent it to a bunch of different people without customizing it. I'm very disappointed. I would like to see that you are passionate about your work as a scam artist, and put the time into it by using "Houston" instead.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business