what could happen if you make a music video for a signed artist? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 18th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Major Player

what could happen if you make a music video for a signed artist?

lets say I would want to make a music video for fun for a popular signed artist and just post it on you tube?
could they sue? would they sue? or just have it removed?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Major Player

C. All of the Above

Do a search for using music in videos. This topic has been covered ad nauseum and then some on this forum.
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Trustee

YouTube's audio fingerprinting would pick up on the copyright material and alert the rights holder to the video. The rights holder has a couple of options: remove the video completely, remove only the audio (leaving a silent video), or leave the whole video intact and include a link to purchase the song.

The odds are overwhelming that you won't get sued. The worst that would happen is your video will get removed.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Start with the sticky directly above this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-c...et-caught.html

Last edited by Adam Gold; December 19th, 2010 at 01:35 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Is there evidence of anyone being challenged on Youtube or Vimeo for using copyrighted music in a non-commercial video?
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I hate these things being called music videos - becuase they're essentially homage videos - using existing clips to be viewed while listening. Kind of video art, I guess. Often very clever and interesting, but to my ancient mind, unless the original artiste performed 'for' the video, then they're not a music video in the sense I grew up with.

I like the response that suggests you try it. At worse it will be taken off, and all you lost was your time. If you like doing this kind of thing, why not find an unsigned band and do it with their consent? Few would object to a free video for youtube.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
Is there evidence of anyone being challenged on Youtube or Vimeo for using copyrighted music in a non-commercial video?
Are you serious? You could obtain the "evidence" you desire by tonight. Just post a video using a popular song.

YouTube's audio fingerprinting is automatic and generally pretty fast and can sometimes detect the violation even before the video is finished uploading.
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #8
Major Player

I meant challenged by the copyright owner
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
I meant challenged by the copyright owner
Google "Prince dancing baby".

There's a reason YouTube had to implement the audio fingerprinting - rights holders got tired of having to find each video so they set their legal sights on YouTube and threatened a massive lawsuit.
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Commercial or not doesn't make any difference ... the infringment is in making the copy, not in trying to make money off of it subsequently. Giving away copies is just as infringing as selling them. But be that as it may, YouTube and Vimeo are commercial ventures, making money from publishing videos online. As soon as a video is uploaded to them, it becomes a commercial video, irrespective of why it was made in the first place. Even a family keepsake of the kids and puppies splashing in a wading pool becomes a commercial video when uploaded to a revenue generating site, even if the uploader sees no revenue from it or had the intention of generating revenue when they made it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business