Music legality - Humming an old tune at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 28th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Music legality - Humming an old tune

There is an ooold song (from 1929) called I'm Just a Gigolo. One of my actors is humming this line in my film.
Any idea if I still need a license for it ?
I am not using it as background music - just humming a single tune.
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Given it is over 50 years old, there might no longer be an enforcable performance copyright but give APRA a call to make sure.

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 28th, 2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

David Lee Roth did a cover version of this song in the 80's, based on a Louie Prima recording from 1956. I doubt the song is public domain.
Jason Sovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Trustee

According to US copyright law, works published or registered between 1923 and 1978 currently have a maximum copyright duration of 95 years from the date of publication.

"Just a Gigolo" was published in 1931. So you're looking at about a 15 year wait for public domain status.

Anything published before 1923 is in the public domain. A good rule of thumb is to consider anything published after that is still protected by copyright.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
According to US copyright law, works published or registered between 1923 and 1978 currently have a maximum copyright duration of 95 years from the date of publication.

"Just a Gigolo" was published in 1931. So you're looking at about a 15 year wait for public domain status.

Anything published before 1923 is in the public domain. A good rule of thumb is to consider anything published after that is still protected by copyright.
Do note, though, that the 1923 date is for the copyright on the words and melody. There is no such copyright cutoff date for audio recordings. If one finds an old Edison cylinder recording of someone singing "Suwanee River" that was recorded back at the turn of the 20th Century, there's a good chance the RECORDING itself is still protected by copyright even though the Stephen Foster SONG is definitely in the public domain.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business