Is blurring background faces out sufficient to conceal identity in documentary? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 5th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Is blurring background faces out sufficient to conceal identity in documentary?

I have footage taken in locations that I have permission to film in, but many people in background who weren't waivered and would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. I'm therefore blurring out faces but I'm wondering whether that's enough? E,g,, a person might be wearing distinctive pants, or rings, or anything else which would be recognizable to both him/her and their acquaintances through which they could be identified. Anyone been in a similar situation?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Is blurring background faces out sufficient to conceal identity in documentary?

If I'm not mistaken, as long as you don't see their faces, you are good to go. I have never seen a video on TV where the entire body was blurred.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Is blurring background faces out sufficient to conceal identity in documentary?

Thanks Steve, me neither. Just want to be on the safe side. I guess the criteria is not whether someone could identify themselves in the video, but whether they might reasonably be identified by a member of the public.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm sure the US laws in that regard are similar to Canadian regs.Here, the assumption is made that the only part of a human body that is not subject to significant change is the face, so blurring facial features is all that's needed.
There can be specific exceptions i.e. a close up of a pair of hands wearing a custom designed set of wedding rings, etc. that are easily identifiable. I would guess that almost always if you were shooting something like that, up close and personal, that you would have obtained a release of some sort anyway
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business