Need advice on commission for TV Ad at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 29th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need advice on commission for TV Ad

Hiya folks,

I've worked as a director before on TV ads, but that was working for a large organisation where I became somewhat institutionalised!!

Since I've started freelancing and owning a production company, I'm finding it's a whole different ballgame -Particularly since I am having to organise all aspects of production that have before been fed to me on a silver platter.

Although currently I'm dealing with fairly local companies making all manner of corporate videos, a company from a foreign country have contacted me about creating a TV ad for them that will also be used as part of an online campaign. The budget is pretty small, around 7000 Euro. The work is not too intense, but will involve casting several actors to deliver a few words of dialogue.The rest of the details are sketchy at the moment.

Does anyone have any general advice when 'fixing' something like this together. Should I get some funds up front before starting any casting / pre-production work? How is this normally arranged? For this budget, should I storyboard it for them? Would it look odd if I shot this with just a couple of assistants, a DoP, my Canon 5D mark II and Kessler crane?

It's a world away from shooting a 200K ad on a large set with full production assistance to shooting a 7K ad where I have to take care of all business!

Thanks for any help and advice,
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Need advice on commission for TV Ad

I think it all depends on how much work you are comfortable doing for that kind of money.... and yes, I'd get a sizable chunk up front. I don't think a small crew would look at all odd for that budget.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business