What to look for in regards to Deferred Contracts? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:45 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: What to look for in regards to Deferred Contracts?

Not getting paid is another matter altogether...it happens no matter what industry you're in, and the worst offenders are the ones who make the most money.

It's important to study the filmmaker and his/her intentions before committing to anything, and it is unwise to expect monetary gain from an independent feature, simply because 99% of them don't make any money.
Old July 4th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #17
Major Player

BRILLIANT! This is exactly what I was looking for. I can't thank you enough.

Cheers,
Mike
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #18
Major Player

OK, if I can get this guy to pay me, let's say $200/day for 10/12 hours for shoot days, what should I ask for prep days? Same or half or....? What about overtime? What's fair considering the situation, that is?
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #19
Wrangler

Prep days should be billed the same as shoot days. I will make concessions for scouts, travel and idle days but not prep.

The standard OT breakdown is straight time for 8, time and a half for 8 to 12 and double time after 12. If your rate is 200/10, you would be at 30/hr until 12 hours, then 40/hr after that. If at 200/12, your OT is at 33.33/hr. There is a strict theory that a 10 hour rate actually represents 11 hours of base pay (8 hours straight time plus two hours at 1.5 time equals 11 hours) and thus your base hourly is calculated lower since you are dividing your rate by 11 rather than 10, but I wouldn't bring that up unless they do as it results in less pay! And yes, you should tell them that it is a 10 hour rate--with any luck they are inexperienced enough to agree to it without understanding that it will cost them more!

Whatever you do--again--get it agreed-to in writing before the job starts.
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #20
Major Player

Much appreciated. Now, I feel like I owe you a percentage. Thanks for all of your help.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #21
Major Player

Also, creative acounting is something that you should concern yourself with. If your future revenue is based on profits, you need to have a clear understanding of not only the production costs, but also the cost that go along with duplication/replication. You should have an understanding of all the expected expenses so that you know how many DVDs have to be sold before you start making money.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business