Latest Scam Email - They're Getting Better at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Latest Scam Email - They're Getting Better

Received a scam email this morning addressed to "undisclosed recipients" from gregwoods10@yahoo.com

"Hello
I am Mr Greg Woods from the UK,i am sponsoring a reality TV show project of mine,the shooting will take place around your area,with regards to this project i will love to check availability for a full shooting package equipment rentals.this project will run for 7 days 10th - 16th OCT 2011,the venue is not confirmed for now,but i could suggest an apartment to be used for this project,you are requested to make suggestion of equipments that would fit my production,including operators of necessary equipments,this is to includes 2 cameras (Sony EX3 or Panasonic AG-HPX500 HD P2 Camera or any other equivalent) ,Video Equipment Rental package,Audio Equipment Rental package,Lighting/Grip Equipment Rental package.I think i have given you an idea of what is required,you are to enclose a comprehensive list of equipments and cost of rentals for 7days,including cost of operators if needed,i have an open budget for now till i get a standard equipment quote from you,Do you accept credit card?(visa,master card)Respond back to me in full details so we make the best productions.
Best Regards"
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Latest Scam Email - They're Getting Better

Rick, where is the scam? Just looks like a poorly written attempt at something.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Very poorly written emails are usually a good indication of scams. These scammers from Nigeria and similar countries are so stupid they think they know English good enough to perpetrate these scams, but their spelling and grammar errors give them away pretty soon.
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The truly sad thing is that they are getting enough victims to keep working the angle.

If they got nothing they would move on to a different scam.
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

The giveaway is usually the "your area." Ask em exactly what area that is if you think theres a chance its legits legit
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

But WOW, they are learning the equipment so they actually ALMOST sound educated about what's required for an actual shoot...

Guess DVi is upping the knowledge even in Nigeria!

This does have all the typical "scam" signatures - someone going halfway round the world to do "something" (reality shows have even made it to Nigeria?! How bout "Scammy Shore"?), bad grammar, offer to send unlimited "open budget" funds via CC (but I'll bet he'll pay in fake MO... or fraudulent check), just enough "details" to make the scam attempt SEEM plausible...

Be careful out there people, the scammers are always getting "better"...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

Next time i get one of these i want to send them a ridiculous quote...like $30000 a day. If they dont balk...scam..
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Major Player

Here's an even more elaborate scam for those who rent out their gear. They would rent the camera from you, return it on time, pay cash. Rent even more equipment, return it on time, pay cash. This went on for 3 months. Trust gained they now rent a 3 camera shoot package, with the long throw lens, grassvalley switcher, ccu cables, etc, etc. and vanish from the face of the earth. Happened to the company I use to work for.
Old July 8th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

i actually had one of these scamers try to buy a camera from me. I did a little research and found out some of them will send you a picture of them if you ask. do a Google search theres some pretty good stories out there and ways to mess with them
Tom Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #10
Major Player

Same thing happened to me. I was selling a Sony HVR-HD1000U on Craigslist to avoid the other scam that is eBay with all their fees. This woman had the typical weird English grammar all these idiots have, and she wanted me to send the camera to Nigeria. Yea, right. She insisted she was going to pay with Paypal. Here's the problem. Even if the money comes in, and you login to your Paypal account and the money is there, then you send the camera away, the scammer can file a complaint with Paypal saying she never received the camera. So Paypal takes away your money and you lost the camera. If it's within the US, UPS tracking or post office delivery confirmation can save you, but I don't think there's a way to get delivery confirmation to Nigeria. Only that it entered the country at best. Needless to say, I told her no and ended up selling it to a nice local guy.
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #11
Major Player

Interesting... I just recieved an identical email except the name and dates have been changed....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To:
Sent: Monday, 29 August 2011 9:40 PM
Subject: shooting equipment inquiry

Hello
I am Mr John Connor from the UK,i am sponsoring a reality TV show project of mine,the shooting will take place around your area,with regards to this project i will love to check availability for a full shooting package equipment rentals.this project will run for 5 days 7th - 11th NOV 2011,the venue is not confirmed for now,but i could suggest an apartment to be used for this project,you are requested to make suggestion of equipments
that would fit my production,including operators of necessary equipments,this is to includes 2 cameras (Sony EX3 or Panasonic AG-HPX500 HD P2 Camera or any other equivalent) ,Video Equipment Rental package,Audio Equipment Rental package,Lighting/Grip Equipment Rental package.I think i have given you an idea of what is required,you are to enclose a comprehensive list of equipments and cost of rentals for 5days,including cost of operators if needed,i have an open budget for now till i get a
standard equipment quote from you,Do you accept credit card?(visa,master card)Respond back to me in full details so we make the best productions.
Best Regards
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #12
Inner Circle

You don't expect a lowlife scammer to put out that much effort do you? Why invent when you can just steal someone else's work, maybe with a few little changes...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #13
Inner Circle

You need to be helpful to this client. Some day he will help to prevent the machines from taking over by destroying SkyNet.
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Zero-spaced and extra-spaced commas and periods... yowza. Who falls for this stuff?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM   #15
Equal Opportunity Offender

Beware of potential new clients who don't know what a paragraph break is?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business