consultation fee at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 9th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Major Player

consultation fee

I have a gentleman wanting to get together with me to offer some advice on getting his business going. He will be shooting some of the same types of videos I do but in a different area. I've never charged for a consultation so what is a going rate for this type of work?
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: consultation fee

Hi Lalo,
If you have been helped by others in the past you may want to think like this:
If he is just getting started he may not have much left after paying for his equipment. Getting any new business off the ground is tough, and he will need all the help he can get.

You could consider advising free of charge and make a great friendship. Some of his new strengths and ideas will help your business grow down the road.

Unless of course your business model is that of a consultant, that's different. Then you should charge a fee.
Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

If it's just a few hours of your time, then I suggest fee = lunch. Or dinner.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Actually I wasn't going to charge anything until he said he would pay me for my time. Doug and Chris, thanks for the advice. I think lunch would be just fine and like you said make a friend and contact.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Oboy the older you get the more you see, and I've seen the unseemly side of a situation exactly like this.

I say go with the flow (as posted) but keep your eyes open for any signs he might start collecting a list of your clients .. anything at all like that, even though he might be in a different area as you say.

I'm the most optimistic optimist you'll ever meet big time, but there's definately no sentiment in business. All the best :)

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business