music license question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Major Player

music license question

I wasn't sure which category to post this in and I should know this answer to this question but I don't, so here I am.

If I was to cut promo pieces for clients for the purpose of them posting it on their web sites, who should be responsible for acquiring the music license/rights etc.? I'm not talking about anything major... just music from the typical sites such as Triple Scoop, Tune Society, Magnatune, etc.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: music license question

1. The owner of the material rights is responsible for the audio-video broadcasted on their medium.
2. Your production. If something is a miss it's your productions fault. But because you are not the owner of the material rights I don't think anybody can touch you accept the company's law suite (the company that you sold the AV work) - somebody correct me if I'm wrong here...

You acquire/buy the rights for the score and then sell/transfer the material rights of the AV work (which also contains the score rights) to the buyer. I think this is the most common case of how things work. The license is in your hands in this case I think.

That's how in my understanding this works. Your client could also buy the rights but that is usually not the standard practise because they're paying you to do the work:)
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
I wasn't sure which category to post this in and I should know this answer to this question but I don't, so here I am.

If I was to cut promo pieces for clients for the purpose of them posting it on their web sites, who should be responsible for acquiring the music license/rights etc.? I'm not talking about anything major... just music from the typical sites such as Triple Scoop, Tune Society, Magnatune, etc.
When you say "cut promo pieces" what is your role exactly? Are you doing a technician's function, editing footage under the direction of a producer/director or the client, or are you the actual producer, responsible for the content of the piece? Are you creating a copyrightable work on the behalf of your client or are you performing a work-for-hire where the client is legally the creator of the finished work? Assuming you are legally the creator of the work, it is you who is responsible for insuring that everything in it is legal so it would be your responsibility to insure all the licenses have been acquired. That doesn't mean you pay for them from your own pocket - the cost would be passed on to your client in your bill. But should there be a question of infringment, as the program creator you would be the one in the hot seat, perhaps along with your client but you would definitely be there, so the burden falls on your shoulders to insure all the T's are crossed and I's dotted..
Old October 26th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

@Bill: What Steve said.

This is the right place. In fact, this topic is frequently discussed (in a very lively fashion at times) but the answer comes out the same: If you are hired to produce the work, you should acquire the rights... for various reasons.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks to all who responded. It's greatly appreciated!
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business