Kunaki review? - experiences please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 31st, 2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Kunaki review? - experiences please

I searched for reviews of the Kunaki service, but i was unable to find any recent posts.
I'm about to try it for the first time and i don't have the luxury of testing due to a deadline.
Can anyone vouch for the service or give me pointers?

What should i expect on upload speed? ~1.5GB
Do you upload a .img, Video TS folder, or what?
How's the dvd cover template? Any constraints? Upload JPEG?
Anyone try an AVCHD dvd?
Can i rely on their stated delivery times (obviously based on shipping that i select)?
How's the insert and overall printing quality?
Hub printable?

Thanks . . . i'll need to upload by Friday to meet my deadline.
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Kunaki review? - experiences please

They're my go-to vendor for SD event DVD's.

Upload speed is about what you'd expect for any other site... uploading a full 3-4GB DVD usually takes my DSL connection about 20 hours. Their upload app also compensates for outages of whatever type, and I haven't had a failure yet.

Their app is two parts - part 1 copies the DVD bit-per-bit, and also packages in any DVD, insert, and cover art you supply. There are no constraints and for quick-quick projects, there is a simple cover/dvd art template. This package becomes a self-contained, self-executing file.

Part two (executing your freshly-created file) uploads the package to their servers.

I have not tried AVCHD, but so far as I know, the copies are bit-per-bit. The caveat is that, so far as I know, they only work with single-layer (4.7GB) DVD's at this time.

The only problem I have ever had with them was a misprint on one small batch, but this occurred shortly after their move from NYC to Nevada and was corrected promptly.

Also, their apps are Windows-only... a completely minor quibble since I have secondary win boxes as well. I've run this program through VirtualBox without issue in the past.

I'd say, for more specific questions, send them an email and they'll let you know more than I can.
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Kevin, i appreciate it.
Old January 31st, 2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Very funny Website, by the way. I like your style!
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Trustee

I'm sold on Kunaki. I use them for all duplication projects large and small. I don't know if it's just a quirk of my location, but shipping by Media Mail and UPS both take the same length of time (typically six days from placing the order to disks arriving at my office.) At least with UPS you get a tracking number. The fastest shipping option is Priority Mail, but that's only available with three or fewer disks.

Mark, most of your questions can be answered simply by downloading their software and trying it. You're under no obligation to order anything. The graphic representation they provide of your finished product is accurate, I have had no surprises.

I've never tried an AVCHD dvd through them, but I'm assuming it would work since it's a bit-for-bit recreation of your original disk.

Like you, I was also under a time constraint the first time I tried them. I was not disappointed.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I just placed my first order with Kunaki last week, so I was just as nervous, because I will eventually place a fairly large order.

As explained above, I downloaded their software, but instead of their rather primitive labeling system I made my own labels using Photoshop. Then I let the software read my DVD (you have to physically place a DVD in your optical unit in the computer, it won't take an ISO or DVD folder. It makes an EXE file; if you open it, you can again review the print (both on disc and cover) and even extract back the disc content to a folder.

Upload took about 12 hours on my Charter cable service (12Mbps down, 3Mbps up) - about 4.2GB total.

The SURPRISE came a few hours later when I got an email that the upload is error free, and I can now place my order. AND, they will send me one copy FOR FREE, to review. Wow... that's nice... No games, no gimmicks (like give me a credit card number just to make sure you're who you say you are) - completely free, no obligation. So far I have not had to enter any credit card info!

Now, I don't know if that's for the first time only, or do they do this every time you upload something?

Either way, I'm sold too... depending on the review copy...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business