Paypal on my website stopped working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Paypal on my website stopped working

I had a "pay with Paypal" link on my website Farkas Video for some time now and it seemed to be working fine. Today a customer reported that it doesn't work - and it really doesn't. I went to the Paypal site and re-did the whole payment button integration process thinking that the code somehow got corrupted on my site. Nope, not the problem.

The error code says something about request too long... don't have it at hand.

Funny thing: it works fine if I'm trying from the page stored on my computer but not from the uploaded page.

Anyone else in the same situation?
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Paypal on my website stopped working

Any chance you use godaddy.com as your host? Got a note today from them that they are moving to a new server and there might be some problems.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yep, Godaddy - didn't get anything from them today.

Looking around on Google it seems that I'm not the only one with the problem.
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Ervin -
The poo-flinging code monkeys at eBay/PayPal have been working long hours of overtime... I've had trouble making purchases from within eBay, yes from their own "system". SO, not a big surprise to hear that it's also affecting sales from outside site.

Call PayPal and tell them they have a problem, they may not even be fully aware of it, from my experience even if they ARE, it's a "round tuit" (when they get around to it...) situation.

Really sad way to run an "ecomm" platform, but that's how they are doing it now, tinker with the engines while the plane is midflight (according to a WSJ article where their lead programming guy made that statement!!), deal with the fallout when they get round to it.

FWIW, eBay has NUMEROUS critical problems in the code at the moment, resulting in an ongoing nightmare and rediculous low prices and headaches for sellers.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

And it gets worse!

Apparently both my host Godaddy and Paypal are making changes at the same time, perfect opportunity for both of them to point to each other... and the customer gets caught in the crossfire. I have a couple of Wordpress sub-sites hosted on the same Godaddy hosting account - they stopped working all together.

Everything worked fine for years, don't they know the most basic of engineering principles? If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Well, it took me three pairs of email messages and most of the morning, but I got it fixed. At least Paypal's email tech support is fast.

For anyone in the same situation, the first line of Paypal code needs to be changed, so instead of

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">

it needs to be

<form target="paypal" action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">

Tested on Win 7 and XP with IE, Firefox, Opera, and Chrome - they all work.

Anyone on a Mac willing to test? www.farkasvideo.com/pricing.html bottom of page.

Thanks,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business