Good file web hosting site at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 17th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Good file web hosting site

I imagine this comes up a lot but did a couple searches and couldn't come up with anything specific to my quest, so...

I've been using Mediafire for a while, I have the payed "pro" account, and lately I've been having issues. Trouble uploading, clients having trouble downloading. They also don't really offer a way to password protect the files. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has a service that they have had good luck with.

FYI- this is for uploading/downloading files and not for web streaming stuff.

Thanks a bunch for any info -
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Good file web hosting site

I have two methods:

Dropbox is a free service that syncs a folder on your computer (up to 2GB in size) with the web, and you can share these files between computers and with other users. You can send a single file with a link, or share a whole folder. If the other user has dropbox installed also, it is even slicker - your files just appear on their computer.

You can sign up for dropbox here: http://db.tt/3VgxegXg

In the spirit of full disclosure, signing up via this link will net both you and I an extra 0.5 GB of space. (Signing up by going to getdropbox.com nets both of us nothing.)

The second method is with my website - I use an ftp program (there are lots of them, I use CyberDuck) to upload things to my client folder (my website dot com / clients / ClientName / project.zip), then send the link to the client via e-mail. Speed is the same, it's got the "name recognition" added bonus, but it is a little more clunky than dropbox. Cost is $10/yr for the domain and about $5/mo for the hosting service, I use GoDaddy for both.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Haven't used it but hear good things about Send Large Files - Secure File Transfer - FTP - Secure File Sharing | ShareFile
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Just get a web hosting account from 1&1: http://www.1and1.com/linux-web-hosting

Upload your files via FTP with FileZilla (a free program) or use 1&1's web interface. Then send your user a link to the file which will looks something like this: s123456789.onlinehome.us/MyVideoFile.mp4.

Hosting accounts start at $4 per month and include 50GB of storage, or bump up to the next level for $7 per month which includes unlimited storage.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Major Player

+1 on getting a host account and serving your own files. Learn SCP which seems to be a little more dependable than FTP and more secure. It comes with Mac OS and for Win you can install the cygwin library. I never have a dropped transfer when using it.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
Learn SCP which seems to be a little more dependable than FTP and more secure.
True. I still say "FTP", but you should use SCP or SFTP. 1&1 supports SFTP.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

With today's hosting prices I can't think of any good reasons not to have your own. Pretty much all the big ones (I've been with Godaddy for 6-7 years now) give you unlimited traffic and tons of storage. Implement the security you need and you're good to go.

I use mine all the time for video file transfers to clients.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks a bunch folks. I will have to look into the "self hosting" thing. I've already got a web site through Go Daddy so I may be closer than I think.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business