Public Domain Christmas Music? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 13th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #1
Trustee

Public Domain Christmas Music?

Hi, this topic has been discussed...I know. However, I've got a specific question regarding Christmas music.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find completely free Public Domain Christmas music? If you know where I get the actually recordings that are free...even better.

I do understand that the recordings themselves could be copywritten, so I'm looking for a one-stop-shop where I can get it all taken care of 100%.

At the very least, does anyone know where I can officially check to find out what classic Christmas songs are in the Public Domain? I'm talking about the real classics like "White Christmas", "Jingle Bells" etc...."Jingle Bell Rock" would be great too.

Thanks!!
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher C. Murphy
I'm talking about the real classics like "White Christmas", "Jingle Bells" etc...."Jingle Bell Rock" would be great too.
Those are copyrighted! (Jingle Bells?)

Have you done a web search?

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #3
Trustee

Yes, I did a preliminary search and found music books for sale. But, nowhere have I found a place where I can buy CD's with Christmas music that I can use in my film. If I don't find anything, I'll create my own using non-copyritten classics.

I know a lot of Christmas music is copywritten, but I want to know exactly what is and isn't....I guess I may have to pay for a search. But, this should be publicly available somewhere?!
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #4

When I did a web search using "royalty free christmas music" I found many, many web sites that have very inexpensive "royalty free christmas music."

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #5
Trustee

I'll check out that search..thanks.
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher C. Murphy
Hi, this topic has been discussed...I know. However, I've got a specific question regarding Christmas music.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find completely free Public Domain Christmas music? If you know where I get the actually recordings that are free...even better.
At the very least, does anyone know where I can officially check to find out what classic Christmas songs are in the Public Domain? I'm talking about the real classics like "White Christmas", "Jingle Bells" etc...."Jingle Bell Rock" would be great too.

Thanks!!
ROFL - these ""classics" date from the 30's, and later - "Jingle Bell Rock" has got to be late 50's or early 60's (recorded by Brenda Lee??) - and well inside the copyright dates. To get to public domain you need to go back a lot farther than that - the traditional hymns like Silent Night, First Noel, We Three Kings, etc

You know you're getting old when the person you're talking to doesn't realize Paul McCartny was in a band before Wings, you're really old when they've never heard of Wings, and you're really ancient when they've never heard of Paul McCartny.
Steve House is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business