DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Stealing Someone's Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/510262-stealing-someones-work.html)

Taky Cheung August 27th, 2012 01:27 PM

Re: Stealing Someone's Work

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens (Post 1750168)
How was this discovered? Does Vimeo show where videos are embedded?
Is that only available with a Pro subscription?

Mark, on Vimeo page, you can click on STAT to see who's embedding the video.

Taky Cheung August 27th, 2012 01:29 PM

UPDATE

The owner called Shannon. He was very pissed. He said it was his wife testing the size of the video placeholder on the web site before launch. And it wasn't meant to be stealing. He also demand a public announcement from Shannon saying it wasn't intentional...

Wow this guy has thick skin.

Taky Cheung August 27th, 2012 01:33 PM

The site is dying. It won't handle all the traffic. If you missed it, here's a screen cast someone did earlier today.

Chris Davis August 27th, 2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1750177)
It's a wordpress site...

WordPress is used on 60% of all new websites. Major sites like the New York Times and CNN use WordPress. Large development houses (and small ones like mine) use the WordPress CMS for web development. It's stable, it's mature and it's very customizable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 1750224)
But would you go live and let the site be accessible from the 'net until it's complete and all the placeholders have been replaced with real content?

If you're doing it the correct way you wouldn't, but I'd bet 75% of web developers simply count on people not stumbling across a new URL.

Anyway, that's all moot because the owner of the site confirmed it was a site under development, but under development by his wife.

Noa Put August 27th, 2012 01:54 PM

Don't know what you are refering to but my point was that if it's a wordpress site, the videographer is most probably also the "web developer", maybe I misunderdstood your earlier comment but didn't understand what the developer had to do with this.

Chris Davis August 27th, 2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1750233)
Don't know what you are refering to but my point was that if it's a wordpress site, the videographer is most probably also the "web developer", maybe I misunderdstood your earlier comment but didn't understand what the developer had to do with this.

You are correct in this case that they were making their own site. However in my follow-up post I pointed out that a WordPress site is no longer a guaranteed indicator of a self-created site. Many, many web development companies use WordPress as a content management system - in other words, most websites, small and large, start with WordPress.

Noa Put August 27th, 2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1750228)
He also demand a public announcement from Shannon saying it wasn't intentional...

He is just plain stupid, why would you use a competitors video to testdrive your site when it's live, doesn't he have any own videos for testing purposes? I would have called him immediately if my work was ripped and give him a few hours to remove it, Shannon maybe should have as well but she doesn't owe him anything, he (or his wife) should have known better.

Taky Cheung August 27th, 2012 02:21 PM

I told her, if there is a public announcement, it should be from him apologize to Shannon.

Taky Cheung August 27th, 2012 02:43 PM

The wife is now at Hoo Film facebook page to ask for clarification... classy

Okay everyone, I... | Facebook

Shaun Roemich August 27th, 2012 02:53 PM

Thanks Taky. Commented from my business FB page.

Chris Davis August 27th, 2012 06:23 PM

Regarding the Facebook thread: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." An apt Shakespearean quote. A simple "Sorry, my bad" would have sufficed. :)

Chris Davis August 27th, 2012 06:42 PM

While I agree they did a very bad thing, I do believe their excuse.

Dave Blackhurst August 28th, 2012 09:09 AM

Teapot.... Tempest... welcome to the web, noob...

Dumb mistake, probably "innocent", but the problem is the initial ATTITUDE - I've had pictures ripped off (eBay), and the jackwagon has the nerve to cuss me out when called on it...

People don't always "get" how public the internet is, how powerful a medium it is, and how quickly IP violations can be uncovered. Like a kid with his or her hands "caught in the cookie jar", the unfortunate first response always seems to be poorly thought out and defensive, sometimes it ends up in an even bigger mess, instead of being addressed and "fixed" thoughtfully and promptly.

Looks to me like the principals in this have resolved it, lesson learned, internet 101...people do silly dumb things every day, put it on the internet, instant 15 seconds of "fame"...!

Sigmund Reboquio August 28th, 2012 07:39 PM

best thing to do also is have everyone post one general blog on our own // tagging their names owner names associated with it, so people are aware and their names are always associated with stealing someones work
that way SEo always picks their name up

they can always start a new businessname, unless of course they change their real names

Noa Put August 29th, 2012 01:39 AM

Don't know about that, as much as I despise people stealing it's not our task to be judge and jury, maybe it was a mistake, maybe they where just testing. On FB there was one reaction about the embedded video having the logo of the owner at the end, so why go through the trouble of stealing if everyone can see who's video it is? A real thief would have ripped the video and removed the logo at the end, only then you"d know their true intentions.

I see a lot of video's on Vimeo with music of which I"m sure they have not been licensed properly, I also see quite a few Beglian weddingvideographers using Vimeo instead of their own website to promote their video with a song from well known music bands, so technically they are all thieves as well but no-one makes a fuzz about it. Maybe we should start blogging about that and let them prove they are innocent in order to remove the blogpost again.