DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Stealing Someone's Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/510262-stealing-someones-work.html)

Taky Cheung August 26th, 2012 09:44 PM

Stealing Someone's Work

It is happening in a Facebook group, a videographer found out her film was being embeded in another company showing it's their own work. Since the source video is on Vimeo, and in Vimeo, you can replace the video file, I suggested her to replace the original video with something else.. here what she does.

Click on the video embeded on home page. That's just too funny.

Cupid's Films | Shooting Love

Oren Arieli August 26th, 2012 11:46 PM

Re: Stealing Someone's Work

Great suggestion (and I'm glad it was taken). I expect they'll have this link down shortly. It's a shame that they'll probably continue business as usual and few people will know how underhanded they are.

Craig Seeman August 27th, 2012 02:01 AM

Touché! Love it!

Steve House August 27th, 2012 05:23 AM

Beautiful!!! Too bad she mumbles the web address of her own site because as it is no one will be able to find her.

Chris Medico August 27th, 2012 05:32 AM

Excellent suggestion. :)

She needs to put her website up in the video since you can't understand what she says.

Noa Put August 27th, 2012 06:06 AM

hehe :b, wonder how long it takes before they notice :) I couldn't understand either what she said about the website but after clicking the vimeo logo I got to her vimeo page anyway. I discovered a Belgian videographer some time ago that had a still-motion video in his portfolio, he re-edited it to cut out any reference but I recognized it as I saw it before on the site of the rightful owner. I also wonder if they use this to show the couples they have to provide the same standard afterwards and that they can't, otherwise you would not just shamefully rip from another site and claim it's yours. Just doing one wedding, even for free can provide you with a demo and then at least people know what to expect.

Damian Heffernan August 27th, 2012 06:25 AM

all i see is a sample wedding video, hoo films thing. Did she take down some funny video?

Rick L. Allen August 27th, 2012 06:32 AM

Re: Stealing Someone's Work - Watermark

Watermark your work with your URL within the 4:3 TV safe area. You'll minimize these problems and help people find your work. It's a no brainer.

Mark Ahrens August 27th, 2012 07:40 AM

How was this discovered? Does Vimeo show where videos are embedded?
Is that only available with a Pro subscription?

Chris Davis August 27th, 2012 08:34 AM

The site is brand new, having been first indexed by Google this month. The home page is incomplete, there's no contact information, etc. This is website under development.

As a web developer, I know we'll quite often use placeholders (images, videos, text) to fill space until the client gets us real content. Now in this case, I'd probably put in some silly YouTube video of kittens or something instead of another videographer's work. Anyway, I'd be more inclined to blame the web developer than the videographer.

Noa Put August 27th, 2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

I'd be more inclined to blame the web developer than the videographer.
It's a wordpress site...

Dave Blackhurst August 27th, 2012 11:42 AM

looks like it's "down"...

Chris Medico August 27th, 2012 11:51 AM

The PSA version of the video is working here. Looks like they added a banner with the website to it.

Steve House August 27th, 2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 1750174)
As a web developer, I know we'll quite often use placeholders (images, videos, text) to fill space until the client gets us real content. Now in this case, I'd probably put in some silly YouTube video of kittens or something instead of another videographer's work. Anyway, I'd be more inclined to blame the web developer than the videographer.

But would you go live and let the site be accessible from the 'net until it's complete and all the placeholders have been replaced with real content? I've always operated on the principle that the public should never see work that wasn't finished and as close to perfect as I could make it.

Taky Cheung August 27th, 2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian Heffernan (Post 1750160)
all i see is a sample wedding video, hoo films thing. Did she take down some funny video?

For some reason, you have to click the "HD" icon on vimeo player to see that video. Don't know why.