Film Permit required? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 20th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Film Permit required?

I will be shooting somewhere in NYC for just one afternoon location hasn't been decided yet. Based on the info from nygov website do I need a permit? I'll be using just one video camera (Sony FS700) on a tripod.My wife will assit me and I hired two actors. No additional equipment cables light etc will be used. Made in NY - Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting - About
here is a quote from their website.

"When a permit is required
Permit Required: $300 application fee applies
Equipment or vehicles are used or the person filming asserts exclusive use of City property.
Insurance is required for this permit Equipment does not include hand-held devices (such as hand-held film, still, or television cameras or video cameras) or tripods used to support such cameras."
Old May 20th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Film Permit required?

From the website:
Quote:
A permit is not required for filming that uses hand-held cameras or tripods and does not assert exclusive use of City property. Standing on a street, walkway of a bridge, sidewalk, or other pedestrian passageway while using a hand-held device and not otherwise asserting exclusive use of City property is not an activity that requires a permit.
Old May 20th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Why don't you just call up the film office, describe exactly what you intend to do, and ask 'em what you need.
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Trustee

On the left coast, it is common to shoot quickly, efficiently, quietly, and not get caught. Small camera (aren't they all?) will help here. Any lighting equipment is a dead giveaway, and will get a cop to stop and ask for your permit. If you can get away with not having one, it is easier to skip it.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Major Player

I always shoot in stealth mode and never had a problem however for this project I'm paying the actors and renting some lenses so I don't want to worry about being caught. Today I scouted the area and found a good location at a park. I went to the park's website and downloaded a form to fill out. They will decide if I need a permit or not. thanks everyone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business