working in another country at
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Major Player
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Bay City, Michigan
Posts: 585
working in another country

I'm working on a project here in the U.S.

I want to interview someone on camera in Canada to use in the project.
Do I need any kind of work permit, etc? Permission?

Just trying to dot all my "i" s
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,082
Re: working in another country

Customs has a form, you can put your gear on there (include model and serial numbers) and get it stamped when going across - A quick google search did not reveal the form I am thinking of, but it's out there. When you come back, you will need to have the form checked so you don't have to pay tax on your gear as if you'd purchased it new.

You need foreign auto insurance.

You may need to arrange foreign tax. I've never done this, and can't give advice on it.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 172
Re: working in another country

Hi Robert
I'm in Canada and live a few miles from a border crossing. Would try to get written permission first, especially if you're having to travel a long way. Not sure what is needed to make it "official". The border agents on both sides have a lot of discretionary power. If you show up with a reasonable story and a letter from the person you're intending to interview, they might let you through but then again they might send you home. How far from the border does the person live? Could they meet you on the U.S. side? Also, bringing commercial gear across the border might need a carnet, rather than just a personal belongings declaration form.
Here's a contact link to our Canadian border agency: Contact Us
Good luck.
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lowestoft - UK
Posts: 4,000
Re: working in another country

I do know that getting a visa to work just a few events in the US is a total P in the A. Sponsorship from somebody in the US, then an interview at the US Embassy in London, to explain why an American person could not do the job, rather than me, and then if granted, the times and dates are fixed. If the US do this to UK citizens, then I'd guess that doing a short job in Canada officially is going to be less than simple!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network