Equipment/Liability Insurance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 7th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Equipment/Liability Insurance

I would like to purchase insurance for my freelance video business. I started the application with R.V. Nuccio & Associates only to find they don't cover anything other than weddings, birthdays, and private events. I also contacted HeffINS/Michael DeFazio, and he said they don't do liability insurance. Where can I get insurance that covers all types of productions, including commercials, real estate, etc., as well as liability?
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Equipment/Liability Insurance

Patrick,

When I ran my own business, I had equipment and liability insurance through State Farm. Not all agents even know how to deal with video companies and their insurance needs, so you may have to help point them there. The policy is referred to as "inland marine" coverage.

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Sent you a PM with a broker that provides a policy for me.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Patrick.

I purchased business liability insurance (The Traveler's) through the same insurance broker that handles my family's homeowner's policy and automobile insurance. Costs a couple of hundred per year for $2 million worth of coverage.

E&O is a different story. That tends to be very expensive, and my agent advised only getting it for large budget projects, not for little jobs, and of course, making allowances for the extra expense in the bid.
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #5
New Boot

I'll second the suggestion that you go through the same company that handles your homeowner's/auto insurance. Got mine through State Farm and found it to be surprisingly affordable.
Dennis Duszynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Major Player

Hey bumping this, I'm also trying to find some options for coverage. Liability and E/O, what do you guys recommend? My local state farm rep said they do not cover video production as its too much liability. lol
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Find a local company that specializes in commercial insurance. There are several types of policies you may need. There is general business liability, inland marine for your equipment, and specialized liability requirements that State Farm and the like don't handle.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business