How to budget for this.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 10th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to budget for this....

I have an opportunity to pitch for what would be a high end video of a major building construction. It would cover the construction from breaking ground to the opening so would probably span about three years. Initially I think I'm going to be asked for a ball park figure which I realise is almost impossible to arrive at with any real certainty. My question is this: Does anybody ever quote cost per delivered minute i.e. £3000 per delivered minute. The likelihood is that the main deliverable will be a 15 minute film. How does one come up with a figure if you are put on the spot which is likely to happen.
Patrick Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How to budget for this....

Did they not express the number of days they want you to be there to shoot throughout that entire project? How else would they expect you to make a quote? If you know how many hours you have to spend on site each day that should enable you to give a quite accurate quote on at least filming hours which will be the bulk of the cost.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Noa. They don't know any of that because in truth its a very open ended idea. We just know that at some point very early in the conversation somebody is going to ask for some kind of figure so they can think it over. I know its a kind of impossible thing to do. Right now we don't know how many days or hours it will take
We just think we will have to say some kind of figure to get the conversation moving for them. I just wondered if anybody ever worked on a rough formula of cost per minute. For instance it used to be said in Britain that high end tv drama cost about a 1 million pounds per hour but was obviously just a way of putting some kind of figure on it.
Old December 10th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Trustee

Since it is an open minded idea. Sounds like they require a bit of persuasion.

It really is a question of how much you would like the project and if it's of any importance to you and your portfolio for similar related work in the future.

Noa mentioning work hours is a great start. So may be make up some figures now based on how many hours you think you will need to be on site shooting.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes. I think you're right. We need to work out how many hours we think we will need.
Thanks James and Noa.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Major Player

I would think you need to develop and hourly or daily rate and a separate post-production cost.
Then propose: $x/day for y days.

Then work with their schedule to pick the days. No sense in showing up on consecutive days if no progress is made/nothing to film. Have some clause where they can cancel/add scheduled days with xx days advanced noticed. (For example if there is a work stoppage, or if there is extra footage they want you to capture). Have a clause about weather.

You could even use a sliding scale on the theory that the more you shoot, the more efficient you will become, and arguably the more footage you have, the easier it is to edit. (Others will diagree - LOL)
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business