2nd shooter contract - Australia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 51
2nd shooter contract - Australia

Hi everyone

Just wondering if any kind people might be happy to share their contract for 2nd shooter contractors? I am (finally) getting myself organised and need to cover things like pay, travel, expectations etc and have no idea how to set it out..

Thank you!!
Diana Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #2
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Coast - NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,606
Re: 2nd shooter contract - Australia

one of the things you need to consider is how you are employing your 2nd shooters - if you are drawing up a contract with conditions you may be hiring them as employees and you'll be liable for tax & workers comp etc.

If you don't want that then you have to hire them as subcontractors and pay attention to the tax office requirements for sub contractors - that's your starting point.
Cheers - Paul M.
Paul Mailath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 01:03 AM   #3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,513
Re: 2nd shooter contract - Australia

As Paul hints you open yourself up to a host of legal commitments hiring contractors. 'Workers Comp', 'Work Cover' and 'Witholding Tax' for starters if they are sole traders. The only legal way to avoid all the pitfalls of hiring freelancers is to stipulate that they are registered Pty Ltd companies and are registered for GST and obviously have an ABN number. Covering yourself this way the contracting Pty Ltd is held liable to meet the legal requirements for all insurances and taxes. Given that you are often considered to be 'The Producer' in many production instances you should also carry your own Public Liability Insurance. The absolute minimum I would suggest you carry is $10 million. Most venues, airports, councils and public municipalities etc now require a minimum of $20 million.

You can Google all the above terms on the ATO site. Witholding Tax and Super can be found through this link and the tabs on that page.


If you need a few pointers in this area PM me off forum and I can put you in touch with my better half who's business specializes in all these nasty legal business requirements for numerous big and small clients. I'm sure I can convince her to give you some pointers without it costing you anything. Good luck!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network