Digital Download at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 9th, 2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Digital Download

For theater events I have been offering digital downloads on Vimeo. I send them a link via email. But I’m having this problem where they don’t write their email clearly and then the email goes to a stranger or bounces back as undeliverable. This may only happened to 3 or 4 orders but I’ve had directors complain about being contacted by people who never received their video. In contrast I’ve never had a problem shipping physical media in the mail. I’ve updated my order forms with reminders “please write clearly” but this last job the client wanted to be in charge of taking orders so I let them and now I have a bunch of email problems. Anyone experience this type of issue?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 03:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Digital Download

How do you get the email data? Somebody scribbles it on a bit of paper at the event, I assume?

What you could do is get some cards printed, like business cards with YOUR email on it - "would you like a DVD of the event", or a digital download? Would this work.

We run a download server - not that expensive for limited sales - I think ours costs maybe £150 a year, something like that. On our website are samples and demos, and then they pay by PayPal and get an obscured 24hr link to het their download. It's a bit of a pain to keep updated, but works well.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 06:08 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Most of my customers are parents who like the old pen and paper. 1 can look like l and 0 like O, i and j
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 12:17 PM   #4
Wrangler

I don't understand why this would be hard. As Paul suggested, why not just give them a handout with a URL that allows them to access or purchase the video download? If they can't even do something that simple, how will they ever be able to actually download and play the video? ;-)

Here in the US, I have a website with unlimited storage and data transfer that costs $100/year, including domain registration. This site might not be a good choice for live streaming video, but downloads are no problem.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 01:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Every theater client is different. the performance in question the school wanted to be the ones to create and collect the order forms. Often these are distributed month in advance. I think it’s unrealistic that either parents or students are going hold on to a business card with my email and the request a digital download and it being separate from the order form.

Sometimes the parent who isn’t tech savvy is buying the download for the teen.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business