Home Office Writeoffs? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #31
Trustee

I purchased my current home with my business in mind.
It is a 100 plus year old home in an historic district, that has a carriage house out back.
It has it's own utilities and such separate from the main house, which makes it perfect come tax time.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
If you do writeoff your home office then I suspect the key will be finding a way to document that it's used solely for business.
Any tax man can take one look at my office with the editing workstation, the stacks of papers and the clutter of dusty video equipment, and that'll be all the proof I need. ;-)

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Bravo! You and I are on the same page there. I think far too many people get hung up on saving money on taxes.
Sooo... if I go out and rent office space to generate revenue, I shouldn't deduct THAT expense?

Why is it different from a home office?

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #34
Trustee

Any expense incurred in earning an income is deductible, while tax laws my vary between the U.S., Australia etc etc - the principle remains.

The quality of accountants is variable, like the quality of videographers - if you're unsure - call the tax dept, (or IRS) they can actually be helpful.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business