Don't Get Burned: Bait & Switch Camera Dealers Exposed - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #16
Major Player

I smell a DVi North American Meet! :P B&H and ZGC, here we gooooo
Old June 10th, 2003, 02:10 AM   #17
Major Player

While I was in the US on business earlier this year, my wife and I visited NY for Valentine's. I took her to Tiffany...as a prelude to taking myself to B&H. It was like going into a toy store as a kid. Truly a remarkable operation.

Romantic sod, aren't I? ;-)
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 08:05 AM   #18
New Boot

Don't Get Burned: Bait & Switch Camera Dealers Exposed

Robert,
I got the bait and stuff from Broadway photo on my xl1s. I mostly bought the camera because I was injured at work and, after 25 years, looking at possibly something new to have to do. I thought maybe legal videos or weddings would be the way to go, and I started checking into the xl1s as I'd read alot of good things on it. So, anyway, Broadways price was 2600 dollars. I ordered the canera, gave them my credit tcard number, then the fast tallking began about a "Package deal" I'd get.
After all was said and done, I got a bill for 4100 dollars and a lot of stuff I really didn't need at the time.
The camera, however , was the US version and performs well, and much of the stuff they sent me, thought very overpriced, has come in useful. I got a 4 year mack warranty, case, tripod, bunch of tapes and filters, and two batteries. The filters were the worst though. $300.00 for 3 filters. In retrospect, I guess I still got the camera overall for a good price. I figure about $3200.00 after removing the extras.
I won't ever deal with them again, but the burn was not really too severe.
I know more now about checking out for reputable dealers, and I now do a Better Business Bureau check before I purchase anything off the internet.
Lesson learned well!!!

Russ Evenhouse
Russ Evenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2003, 10:50 PM   #19
Regular Crew

i've purchased online from b&h, j&r, adorama, and 47th st photo. all of these ny shops have been great to deal with. being an international shopper, i find it pays off to do a little research into any online store before i shop. with a little detective work i find you can usually spot which shops are legit (though i'm sure this isn't always the case).
Harry Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #20
Major Player

I got my "XL1s package" from 47st photo. I got upsold from $3600 for the XL1s with tripod, filters, cleaning kit, case. To $3800 for a 2 year mack warranty. I won't do bussiness with them again because of the high pressure of the upsell, but everything else about the service was good. I am very much enjoying my XL1s, so I am not all that sour about the deal.
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #21
Machinist Mate

Just another non-sponsor merchant worth mentioning. B&H was out of stock (a rare occurrence for them, but this was for the Canon EOD 10D when it had just come out) so I tried calling Milford Photo just to see, and they had it in stock. Priced the same as B&H and everybody else in NYC. A smooth trouble-free transaction from a real brick-and-mortar store in my back yard. Not too much there in the video end but a great store for all your still photo needs, if you happen to be in the Connecticut area.

I would never go near those bait-n-switch guys talked about in this thread.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business