Footage Rights Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 28th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #1
New Boot

Footage Rights Question

Hey people, Im pretty new to the forums, and would appreciate it if someone could answer this question for me. Before posting this I've looked around the forums to see if I could find an answer for my question but I couldnt. I want to actually ask two questions:

1. What is the process for obtaining rights to footage? I mean like, TV footage. Who would be the person in the company that I would talk to? Whats the actual name of the employees job is what I mean. And how long does the process usually take to get the footage and/or rights?

2. What format would a company that I'm getting the footage rights from most likely use?

Any info would be appreciated, oh and i dont know if this is the right board for this question so sorry if i made this mistake.
Justin Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What sort of footage? How much do you want? What do you want to do with it? How much are you willing to pay?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Moved to TCB from Open Discussion.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
What sort of footage? How much do you want? What do you want to do with it? How much are you willing to pay?
In particular - sports footage. Not football or basketball or anything like that, atleast, not yet, but more along the lines of Xgames BMX,
Skateboarding, that area. How much? Well I was thinking a fairly big amount, not huge but enough.

Well, I'd like to use the footage as part of a business that Im making, the footage will be part of a product. Quick question; will the fact that I would be using the footage as part of a product affect pricing? And as for price..nothing too way out there but reasonable.

Sorry if i didnt answer your questions right, or if there obvious, im only 18 and very new to all of this
Justin Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Justin,

You would contact the "Producer" of the program that you want the footage for. Simply send them a letter, outlining your SPECIFIC request and plans for the footage.

In other words, your answers to me would not be sufficient to draw a response from them.

You will have to say.

DEAR CBS.
I am interested in utilizing FIVE MINUTES of footage from the X GAMES PROFESSIONAL ALLIGATOR WRESTLING COMPETITION broadcast on Jan 18th.

I plan to use your footage as promotional marketing material for my product "How to love alligators".

But here is some fast and dirty thoughts. Yes, they can and do sell and 'loan' courtesy footage to other sports events and broadcasters quite often. You will notice in the credits after some programs, "Footage of XYZ courtesy of ABC Wide World of Sports". Oftentimes, professional courtesy is involved. More often than not, money is too.

Do I think they are likely to license such material to you? No. And if they did, I doubt you will be able to afford what they would want.

But all they can do is toss your request in a circular file. They can't eat you for asking.

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:44 PM   #6
New Boot

Justin,
A good place to start is Interactive Movie Archive. A price range that I have seen is from free to about $70/second or more. It will depend on the specific footage you are looking to use. I would also assume that the price will be affected by how you intend use the footage.

I'm just starting to learn about archival footage as we are in the development stage of a documentary involving the Rodeo. My wife's brother-in-law was just inducted in the Texas Rodeo Cowboy Hall Of Fame and we want to do a doc on his life in the rodeo.

I'll post more info here as I get more familiar with it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business