Business License? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 9th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Business License?

Hi,

I live in LA and I am planning on shooting video for special events and corporate gigs. I work out of my apartment. Do I need a business license for this type of work? What are the pros/cons of having a business license at my level?

Last post for a while! promise.

thanks,
Scott
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Wrangler

Scott, I moved this from the HD100 forum to "Taking Care of Business."
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
Hi,

I live in LA and I am planning on shooting video for special events and corporate gigs. I work out of my apartment. Do I need a business license for this type of work? What are the pros/cons of having a business license at my level?

Last post for a while! promise.

thanks,
Scott
The best advice one can offer you is to pony-up the (relatively) few dollars and make an appointment with a business attorney in your area. City, county, and state regulations vary all of the place and only someone familiar with your local jurisdiction can give you any reliable information. You might also contact your local small business development office and the local chamber of commerce to see what information they would have available.
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Call your city office, ask for the business dept. Depending on where you live, you might need a city license as well as a state license for business.

If you going to be doing anything as a business, it's always a good idea to get a business license. A better idea is to incorporatate or form a LLC. This will protect you to some degree from any lawsuits that could effect your personal life. Someone can sue your company but they can't sue you.

Once again, I am not a lawyer, etc... etc... etc..., it's always a good idea to consult a lawyer for any legal advice, etc... etc... I should get a commission from any lawyer that you consult with. :)
John Kang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business