how much to cover an all day event? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 24th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Major Player

how much to cover an all day event?

I'm being ask to cover an all day event and edit it for DVD. I estimate that it'll be roughly 10 hours shooting and 50 hours editing. If I price it at $50/hr it'll be $3k+overhead. Problem is I did a previous project for them under the company I work for which they negotiated about $4k which includes overhead (so roughly $3k profit). This was a project that we were highly underpaid imo considering that it spanned 6 months and something like 6 events. Does it seem ridiculous for me to ask them roughly the same amount for a 1 day project?

Our company had quite a bit of involvement in the last project so that somewhat justifies the low rate. Do you think my rate is fair or what should I do?

Thanks. Appreciate any input.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"Problem is I did a previous project for them under the company I work for which they negotiated about $4k which includes overhead (so roughly $3k profit). This was a project that we were highly underpaid imo considering that it spanned 6 months and something like 6 events. "

am i'm missing something ?? if your company made a 3K profit then i assume it was your company that underpaid you and NOT the company that hired your company??

you have to go with your cost. if you charge $50 hr then times X hrs and that is what you charge ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Well I'm on salary so it didn't matter to me what my company charge them the first time, I still get the same paycheck. I just shoot and edit whatever they have for me. Now these people wanted to hire me to do this for freelance because my company don't really want to take this job.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #4
Major Player

If you are still involved with the company, you might have issues with your employers on "Conflict of Interest."

You might want to think on that. As a side job, is it worth it to compete with your employer. If the company is not happy with what you are asking, they might go and complain about you to your employer and ask them to produce something for them, at the lower price.

Why should they pay you more when your employer offered them a cheaper rate the last time? That is what they'll be asking themselves. I would.

If not, I think it's a fare price. (I'm not a professional so my opinion on this is moot) But, you should be up front with the company. Tell them that is what your estimate shows and that the minimum for the payment will be such and such. You will not charge over the estimate, if it goes longer, etc...

Again, I'm not a lawyer, etc, etc... Use advice on your own terms, etc, etc...

P.S. long shot, but I knew a Min Lee from San Gabriel (near Rosemead), way back when. Would you happen to have gone to a private school there?
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Major Player

My company is fine with me doing the job if I wish to take it. They referred me to it. It's just that they don't want to do it again. And sorry, I think you got some other min lee. Thanks for your input though.
Min Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business