Corporate Sponsorship Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 20th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Corporate Sponsorship Question

I’m just finishing up a project that has a segment of a specific product in it. It’s a simple part of the process in this documentary, but it makes the company look very good.
They’re a large tool manufacturer in Germany (offices in many countries)
and I’m certain this project will make the networks (I know everybody says that).
Any tips on the best way to go about getting some sponsorship from them, and what kind of money would one ask for?
Thanks, Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 04:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Korrow
I’m just finishing up a project that has a segment of a specific product in it. It’s a simple part of the process in this documentary, but it makes the company look very good.
They’re a large tool manufacturer in Germany (offices in many countries)
and I’m certain this project will make the networks (I know everybody says that).
Any tips on the best way to go about getting some sponsorship from them, and what kind of money would one ask for?
Thanks, Chris
You may find it works the other way around - if it a recognizable unique brand and is essential to the story, instead of sponsoring you they might insist you have their permission to use their tradename and logo in the film and charge YOU for a license to use it. Let's say your story is a comedy about the hilarity that ensues when an overzealous and confused airport security person overhears two travelers talking about importing a case of a certain brand of cola beverage from South America - think the company would be thrilled to sponsor that movie? <grin>
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The company is going to want to see the script first to see how their product is portrayed. If they don't like your concept then you'll get one of those cease and desist letters.

It's always better to contact the company first and let them know what you plan on doing and how you plan on positioning their product.

I producing a documentary on some VJs that a liquor company hired through a national search. I approached the company first told them my concept and show them the number of impressions they would generate from the doc appearing in film festivals.

They gave me their blessings and some production cash.
Stephen Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Stephen,

It definitely makes them look good.
So I guess your basically saying, to show it to them & hope they'll throw a few dollors our way?
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks Stephen,

It definitely makes them look good.
So I guess your basically saying, to show it to them & hope they'll throw a few dollors our way?
First things first. Before hoping they throw money your way, hope they don't say "Pull the product name and logo from the film or we'll sue."

Where in KY are you? I lived in Bowling Green as a kid many years ago.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Why not contact their ad agency and talk to the person that handles their account and ask if they are interested in a product placement in an upcoming film? If they don't use an ad agency I'd call their marketing department. You'll never know till you call and ask.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys

It's funny how just getting some feed back will make me feel like I've done it before when I call.

I'm in Burkesville- Near Dale Hollow lake.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:01 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks guys

It's funny how just getting some feed back will make me feel like I've done it before when I call.

I'm in Burkesville- Near Dale Hollow lake.
Dale Hollow was a favourite camping spot when I was in Boy Scouts. Howdy neighbor!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business