Insurance/Protection plan for a single camera? at
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 30th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsfield, MA
Posts: 86
Insurance/Protection plan for a single camera?

Hope I posted this in the right forum topic.

I am about to buy a Sony HDR-FX1 from B&H. They seem to have the best price with the best service. I am however concerned about the possibility of damaging my camera during filming and B&H only offers an extended warranty.

Iím very careful and diligent about protecting my equipment but accidents do happen Ė as was the case with a digital camera of mine that got run over by a car (not my fault). My question is, is there anyway beyond extended warranties to pay for some type of breakage protection plan/insurance?

I donít want to buy this beautiful camera and not give it some type of insurance policy. Iíve read that home ownerís and renterís insurance only covers fire and theft. (I rent but don't have renter's insurance) I want insurance for professional use and something that will protect my camera if it were to drop and crack or fall into water or whatever...

Do you guys know of anyone who offers such a policy?

(I know Ritz Camera does but theyíre price for the Sony HDR-FX1 is too expensive)
William N Zarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mays Landing, NJ
Posts: 11,787
Originally Posted by William N Zarvis
Hope I posted this in the right forum
Hi William. Your question is really just about insurance and not related to the make of the camera, so I've moved this thread to our business forum.

First, you might seriously consider whether a renters policy might be a good idea. Apartments are sometimes robbed, pipes burst, and (even more important) people get injured so you should have some liability coverage.

Do you drive a car? If so then go to the same agency and explain your situation. You may find that a renters policy gives you adequate coverage. But if your equipment is used for a business that could change things. But there really isn't any substitute for a personal relationship with a real person at an agency.

This is a topic which comes up frequently, so have a look at the following:
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2024 The Digital Video Information Network