Law regarding filming people? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 18th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Law regarding filming people?

What is the law regarding filming or photographing people and minors? Is it illegal to film anyone without their consent? Or just minors? Is it only public property that this holds true?

The basic idea is I have a friend who filmed a rather controversial video where he asked high school kids (minors) about their political beliefs. The views expressed by kids in this are were very radical, and he's been trying to shed some light on this by putting the video online. It's been getting tons of hits.

Given the fact that I'm also involved for hosting the video and whatnot, I was wondering what the legality is of filming, say, the opinions high school students at school without getting parental consent or anything.
Daniel Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #2
Trustee

Daniel,

Yikes! I'm no lawyer, but if you read the submission guidelines for those iTV type sites where you submit videos, you have to signed release forms from everyone who is recognizable. I would imagine speaking parts would be worse. I'll try to find the link to the site I was at reading this stuff. It was pretty heavy, and scared me off.

Ken
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #3
Wrangler

I can't give legal advice, here, so I'll just speak generally.

Anyone in public has no expectation of privacy, which means they can be looked at, photographed or filmed. There is no "think of the children" exception.

What can be done with the film or photographs is another story, altogether. The answer will be project- and footage-specific, and will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

You'll need to consult an attorney to get an answer upon which you can rely.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business