Fraud Alert - Z1 on Craigslist for $2700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 1st, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Fraud Alert - Z1 on Craigslist for $2700

This ad caught my eye:
http://portland.craigslist.org/ele/166016850.html

A little-used Sony HVR-Z1U with extra accessories for $2700. Sounded like a great deal. As it turns out, it is TOO GOOD a deal, and a scam.

Although the ad states that the poster is in Portland, their reply email said "I'm located in Chicago and i've posted the camera on more cities because i need to sell it faster." No name, no telephone number, just an AOL email address.

If you are seeing an ad like this in your local Craigslist be aware that this is almost certainly a scam - much lower than market price, out of town represented as a local camera. When using Craigslist, read the fraud and abuse guidelines, and DEAL LOCAL!

OTOH, if you have a mint Z1 for $2700 please contact me :-) I'm doing a pro-bono documentary for a non-profit, and could really use a deal. It would be tax-deductable too.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:50 AM   #2
New Boot

There have been tons of these lately. They always say they are in Chicago or London. Scammers..
Jon Siegrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

i'm selling Z1 for $2500.

i also placed in chicago, no phone or address. Just send me the money via email. Sometimes i live in London...hehe just kidding...:)

If any of u know a $2700 deal on Z1, please also notify me, i want it too!

thx.
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:51 PM   #4
Outer Circle

What's "craigslist?"
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM   #5
Inner Circle

check out vancouver.craigslist.com for your local version.

Craigslist was started by a guy named Craig, and is the worst nightmare for a newspaper that depends on classified advertising revenue. Seems like they have a hundred local sites...

Shop at your own risk - part of the point of craigslist is that it gives you the opportunity to connect with local stuff for sale, local jobs, local discussion groups, etc.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business