Anyone else run into this when selling services? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone else run into this when selling services?

Contracts with production companies.

Many times I meet with agencies who say they absolutely love my work - but they can't use me because they've signed a contract with another production company -- and they can only use me for 'overflow work'.

Once I even received quoted something for an agency's creative director. He said the quote was excellent as was my work. Shortly before preproduction, he cancelled me, saying that his hands were tied - as they've signed a 2-year production contract with the big production company in town.

What do you do when all the agencies have signed production contracts with the big production company in town? That leaves only scraps for the rest of us!
Daniel Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yea, didn't think so.
Daniel Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Why not try and contact those larger production companies and see about becoming a subcontractor for them?

If they can't do it themselves, they have a subcontractor to do their work for them.

You get the table scraps but at least you'll be fed.
John Kang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business