DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Ebay, was Canon Xl2 in Canada for wildlife Documentary (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/77677-ebay-canon-xl2-canada-wildlife-documentary.html)

David L Watson October 17th, 2006 05:17 PM

Ebay, was Canon Xl2 in Canada for wildlife Documentary

I have read thousands of threads and I need some help.
I live in Canada I want to buy a canon XL2, I was thinking HD but I’m leaning towards the XL2 as I want to do wildlife documentaries. I live on the coast of BC and we have diverse wildlife, eagles, grizzly bears, whales, wolves, birds and so much more. I have been using outdates equipment like the canon L2 and the canon LX200 (they still provide nice video)

I have a Pinnacle DV500 for my capturing needs, it came with Adobe 6.5

So here are my questions, were can I buy in Canada I did a google search and found a few places but they want close to 7000.00 Canadian dollars, I was thinking of eBay because for that price I can get a good package.

Have other’s bought from eBay; I have bought lots of eBay and never got stiffed. Here are some dealers on eBay lots of positive posts and sells
This one is called sunshineelec and the other is called digitalcorp and the last is called shopsunshine.

Thanks guys for any feedback.

David L Watson

Vincent Rozenberg October 17th, 2006 05:18 PM

What's your end goal, TV, DVD, Internet?

David L Watson October 17th, 2006 05:27 PM

DVD, I would think selling to the Tourists of the cruise ships here, TV would be a pipe dream.
I have some film on my site already

http://www.ghostintheshell.ca/videos/whales.html
there are others there too

Chris Hurd October 17th, 2006 06:02 PM

See our Ebay buyer's guide... you'll find it at http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/

Frank Granovski October 17th, 2006 09:11 PM

David, go with a new or used one from one of this site's sponsors. Trust me. I don't bother buying locally any more. It's too expensive.

David L Watson October 17th, 2006 11:05 PM

I have looked at some sponsers on this site, who would you recomend I think B&H is abit too much thats why I was thinking about eBay.

I would buy used from this site, I think I there is trust here it seems safe.

Ken Diewert October 17th, 2006 11:35 PM

David,

Welcome to dvinfo. Good to see another west coaster. You're right in that you can trust the members here. There's a good reason for that; you have to be a member for 3 months or so before you can access the classifieds. That keeps the unscrupulous sorts of sellers out.

I bought my XLH1 off a dealer in Vancouver who I trust. Because it was considerably more expensive than the XL2, I wanted to make sure I could go back if I had any problems. Although I haven't bought anything from B&H, I would trust them.

I would REALLY check out whomever I bought from through ebay. I've seen a few XL2's that I might have bought, but I'd be really careful, especially because you're in Rupert, you'd be buying sight unseen.

To me it's just not worth saving a few bucks now and finding out later that you bought a grey market or abused unit. Yikes!

You also might want to consider an XL1s, as they are cheaper and there are a lot of units out there.

Good Luck.

David L Watson October 18th, 2006 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info, guys especially you BC guys, I would buy an Xl1s if i could find a good package, I read about using the canon eos lenses and find it very interesting i have a canon eos rebel and have a 300 ml lens for it, no its not the $3000.00 doller white canon lens, but the black canon lens about $300.00 not sure if it will work with the XL2 with adaptor. I like the idea of the distance it can give for shooting animals.

Dylan Couper October 18th, 2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Granovski
David, go with a new or used one from one of this site's sponsors. Trust me. I don't bother buying locally any more. It's too expensive.

Agreed especially if you are looking for used merchandise. I get the odd deal from local dealers (coughLLSRcough) that matches internet prices, but genereally, I shop DVinfo first.

This forum is possibly the best place I've ever been for buying used gear. While there are some good deals, a lot of people flog their old beaten up gear on Ebay. I've been 100% satisfied with everything I've gotten off DVinfo, but only about 50-60% satisfied from Ebay.

David L Watson October 18th, 2006 03:31 PM

Hi guys I'm looking at buying from zotz digital there woods combo is nice and a nice price I just hate the idea of paying duties on something (I dont like having a surprise after making a payment, lol)

I have an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Im hoping with the adaptor it will work anyone try ?
here is a pic
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...0&modelid=7445

Before I make any up my mind I will waite and look at the classifieds here, it takes about a month I guess.

Ken Diewert October 18th, 2006 11:22 PM

David,

That's what the EF adapter is for. I have the same lens and have thought about the EF adapter. I'm not sure what functionality you will retain on the lens. Check with the 'underwater/overland' forum as alot of them use XL1 and 2.

Remember that focal length is magnified by about 7.2x. So a 300mm lens will effectively become a 2100mm lens. What this means is you get mega zooms, but this also means pans and tilts require a VERY stable tripod/head unless you lock it off (OK unless you're shooting at a moving target).

I know what you mean about those nasty duty aftershocks. I've bought some stuff on ebay where the duties nearly killed me. Also if they ship with UPS, you get a bill from a customs broker. Yikes!

David L Watson October 19th, 2006 10:22 AM

I read that camera's from the states do not have duties, if thats true I would think video camera's would fall in to that group ?, a person would need to pay PST and GST and for me a 6500.00 dollers would = 800.00 in taxes, has anyone bought a video cam from the states from a dealer, I would like to Varifie this, thanks guys.

Ken Diewert October 19th, 2006 08:05 PM

David,

I happened to be talking to my dealer in Vancouver today and asked about the price for the XL2 body only and then the kit.

Body only 4600.00
Kit (Body/Lens) 5300.00

Canadian + PST/GST

There is some kind of promo on the kit right now.

If you're going to do it as a biz, register for the GST and you will get that back.

Being that it's now heading into winter and you won't likely be seeing any cruise ships or whales for a couple of months, you can wait until you can use the dvinfo website.

BTW. I'd be very surprised if cameras were duty free. But I really don't know.

David L Watson October 19th, 2006 08:44 PM

Hi Ken thats not a bad price
here is the one i was looking at, its from one of the sponsors Zotz digital
its there woods combo $5300.00 USA for this.

The Canon XL2 camcorder kit, 20X lens, and all accessories...
•Libec LS38(2A) fluid head, ground spreaders, bag
•ACE XL2 case
•2-Lenmar LIC941 6 amp hour batteries (12 hour shoot time appx)
•Canon 1.6 telephoto extender
•Camkote XL2 (camo) weather coat for protection
•10 Panasonic AYDVM63PQ tapes
•Lenmar Mach Charger AC/DC
•the Audio Technica AT815ST stereo long shotgun mic
•K-tek Z-FSO-M Slip on Windscreen
I dont know if I can find a deal like that here in canada? as much as I like to buy local,

Ken Diewert October 21st, 2006 12:37 AM

David,

I haven't priced those items out individually, but that Zotz deal looks pretty damn good, especially with the exchange rate the way it is. There must be a way to find out the scoop on duties, before you decide.