How much to charge at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How much to charge

Not sure if this is right forum.

Ive been approached to make a music video for a rap group. I dont know the group personally but a friend of mine does and thats how I have gotten the gig. Basically it would boil down to 1 day of production. Im not sure right now on the specifics of what they want, but im trying to get a ballpark amount I should tell them once I find out.

Really not sure how much they have to work with either. I know if I need to rent equipment and things that will be taken into account, but how much do I charge for my services.

Im a film student, ive done some short films on DV and on film 8mm and 16mm, Ive also done a bit of music videography for bands and a tour music video and am in post production on a tour DVD.

Ive done all the work for other people for free because they were friends and I approached them for the job.

Im trying to move from free work to making money for my time and creativeness.

My question is what should I charge for this project being that I am still learning and would be my first planned out music video shoot. I will be shooting on my VX 2100 but if need be I may be able to use an xl1 or a dvx100 but would rather use my camera.

Ive talked to two of my friends who I asked to help me, they said they would be completely happy coming out with about 80 dollars each for 1 day of production. If im doing all the editing, pre production, and all the planning, what should I charge for my services. I dont want to tell them too much, because its an opportunity for me and if someone else they know sees it, it may lead to more business. But then again I dont want to underbid myself.

Pls indulge me with your thoughts.

Mike Gilbert
Michael Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It all depends on how hard you are going to work on it, how much time you are willing to spend etc etc
Ive shot my first 'music video' on Digital 8, for free, but got paid $200 later, which was not bad at all.
Two of my latter videos were shot on VX2100, I was doing everything alone (e.g. directing, shooting, lighting, dollying, editing, coloring etc.), and got about $700 for each.
Now Im going to charge at least $1000 just for the job, plus additional money for renting equipment.

Hope this helps
Ivan Egorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

well personally I plan on putting a good bit of time into it. More than the money, its an opportunity for me to break into the video scene with groups here. Im asking about money mainly because it is time to stop doing work for free and start charging for it. In all honesty I could do everything myself, but it would increase the time it takes to setup shots and I might miss something that another eye may see.

Im going to storyboard out everything, make shooting schedules, probably have to do some set design, build some camera mounts or rent them, actual production, and then all the time in post. Im really not sure how long its all going to take, but im not really worried about time vs getting paid, was just wondering a rough jump off point. Thanks for the info on your first and following shoots.

Mike
Michael Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gilbert
Not sure if this is right forum.

Ive been approached to make a music video for a rap group. I dont know the group personally but a friend of mine does and thats how I have gotten the gig. Basically it would boil down to 1 day of production. Im not sure right now on the specifics of what they want, but im trying to get a ballpark amount I should tell them once I find out.

Really not sure how much they have to work with either. I know if I need to rent equipment and things that will be taken into account, but how much do I charge for my services.

Im a film student, ive done some short films on DV and on film 8mm and 16mm, Ive also done a bit of music videography for bands and a tour music video and am in post production on a tour DVD.

Ive done all the work for other people for free because they were friends and I approached them for the job.

Im trying to move from free work to making money for my time and creativeness.

My question is what should I charge for this project being that I am still learning and would be my first planned out music video shoot. I will be shooting on my VX 2100 but if need be I may be able to use an xl1 or a dvx100 but would rather use my camera.

Ive talked to two of my friends who I asked to help me, they said they would be completely happy coming out with about 80 dollars each for 1 day of production. If im doing all the editing, pre production, and all the planning, what should I charge for my services. I dont want to tell them too much, because its an opportunity for me and if someone else they know sees it, it may lead to more business. But then again I dont want to underbid myself.

Pls indulge me with your thoughts.

Mike Gilbert
Ask them to show you a video simillar to the one they want you to shoot. Then ask them how much they can pay for a video like the one they showed you. If you can do it within their budget, then do it. If not, walk away....
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business