Finding Extreme-Last-Minute Funding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 11th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Finding Extreme-Last-Minute Funding

I have a problem, I am in the process of finishing up my motocross documentary (at least I think it's one) except I have zero sponsors for the thing.

http://www.milfordridersmc.com/yz931...railer_V06.wmv

Once finished, it will be released nationwide through a distribution company and I'm hoping to sell out of the first 400 copies rather quickly as many, many people want it (in the Northeast mx community at least). The major motocross magazines and websites have already agreed to review it and rest assured it will be the on screen highlight in several dealerships throughout the Northeast.

The costs keep adding up and I'm without funding to even complete my soundtrack which is vital for this type of film (a local composer is providing about half of the soundtrack, for a price of course). I've been going about calling and Emailing various motocross based companies but haven't been making any progress whatsoever. And at this point, I'm about 2 months past my projected release date.

I am quickly losing hope as I feel I'm over my head and drowning at this point. So now as a last ditch effort I've come here to seek advice on how to land just a couple paying sponsors and maybe even advice on getting music.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Robb Swiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Robb, it sounds like you need finishing funds, and an effective trailer is a good tool for bringing in those funds.

A trailer is effective when it gives a taste of what is to come. When potential sponsors have a taste, they are more likely to want to become actual sponsors.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

what kind of $$$ ( how much) are you talking ?
100,000, 50,000, 25,000, 10,000, 1000 ???

what are you offerring these sponsors in return for their $$ ??

bottom line for funds are family, friends, credit cards ( in reverse order) ..
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Once finished, it will be released nationwide through a distribution company and I'm hoping to sell out of the first 400 copies rather quickly as many, many people want it (in the Northeast mx community at least). The major motocross magazines and websites have already agreed to review it and rest assured it will be the on screen highlight in several dealerships throughout the Northeast.
From the context in which you phrased it, I'm not sure if when you say you have a distributor, that you mean that this is a company that is entirely taking over your distribution through a license. If that is the case, provided your distribution deal has some sort of monetary value associated with it (i.e. an advance or buyout of certain rights), then you may be able to find someone to furnish a loan based on that contract (though you may need someone to guarantee that loan).

In my opinion, if you are close to finishing, and you have a bankable deal, that is a better way than diluting the equity in your film by finding more investors.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Put an ad on craigslist.com, say you want free work to finish the soundtrack.
You will get no less than 40 replies. I'm sadly serious.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, I cant give advice how to raise money, but to get licenced music you could try www.freeplaymusic.com

It can take a while to find the right tracks, but their prices are imho quite good. 100$ pr track per 4 minutes for DVD project ranging from 100-1000 copies.

I dont know if this is too much for you, though.
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business