royalty rates? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 17th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #1
New Boot

royalty rates?

Hi -
I shot an "in studio" (not live) play to DVD for a non-profit client. Original copyrights I specified for the client, in the contract, were for the DVD.
what would be a good ball park, and in what form if they have broadcast media (probably faith-based public tv groups) interested in airing the piece?
Thanks for any pointers,
James
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #2
New Boot

C'mon Ol' Timers

interesting observation:

I very often hear the old hands in the biz complain about newbies undercutting their rates and values...but when you ask a direct question about business norms like a royalty rates they get all quiet.

Now does anyone want to shed some light?

thanks!
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Trustee

James,

First off, I didn't understand a lot of your orignal post. It was, to my eye, confusingly written.

Particularly the sentence: ( I assume it was meant as a sentence even without the Initial cap at the start...)
"what would be good ball park," THRU "airing the piece"

That sentence lost me and I never got back to considering trying to help.

Perhaps I'm just dumb, but it didn't make much sense to me.

You want a "rate?" What kind of rate? Hourly?, Buyout? Exclusive? For what? For something with no known duration (commercial?, hour lengh program? 90minute documentary?) and not knowing if it's LOCAL, or REGIONAL, or NATIONAL, or GLOBAL?

In short, how can someone shed light if they don't understand even the basics of what you want to know?

I'm truely not trying to be harsh here, I'm just trying to help you get what you say you want.

Essentially, if you want answers, it starts with framing questions that are both clear and specific enough so that people with the experience you're seeking can easily pop up and say (yeah, I did something JUST like that and here's my experience...)

A big lesson that I learned years ago is that if I'm not getting the results I want, casting fault on others' is a huge waste of time. If I want the results, it's on ME to get them.

So nowadays, I never ask "why aren't they helping me" cuz there are a million possible answers. Instead I ask "What can I do differently (better) so I CAN get the help I want?" It's a shift that's made my life MUCH easier me over the years.

(BTW, I don't do the kind of work you're talking about so I don't have a clue about those kinds of rates, but just wanted to offer the idea that a better set of questions might honestly help get you the results you want.)

Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I didn't answer because it's a potential morass... too many variables to begin to answer.

First off, you say you shot a "Play".

WHO owns the copyright to the play?

Answer that. And I'll ask the next question.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Major Player

$369.89 give or take.
Chris Luker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business