$.99 Business Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

$.99 Business Cards

I hope this is okay to post, but I know that I am always trying to save a few bucks on the business side of things.

I have no financial connection to OfficeDepot, I just wanted to pass this along to all the frugal business people like me out there.

Here is the info regarding the cards...don't know if you need them for anything you are doing, but they are a great deal!

OfficeDepot.com has this 250-Pack Standard White Vellum Business Card, Value, Black Only for $13 - $12 code 29540100 [Exp 1/29] = $1 with free shipping. Yes, you get to customize the text on them to your specifications.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?...id=337-776-662

Cheer, Jon

PS: This is for United States users.
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for the information, but I don't like black only business cards. I want full color. This is how I do it on what I think is very cost effective.

First, I do my own design in photo shop for the images. If I remember to set the resolution high enough (around 350dpi) I'll do the text in Photoshop as well. If I didn't remember that resolution detail, I resize the finished image down to 72dpi. If I am satisfied with the look, I will open my trusty old Appleworks drawing application and import the image. Then I apply text. This allows everything to be vectored. Once happy with one image I copy and paste it until I have a full page of business cards. Then I print that onto glossy photo paper.

Now it is time to go to a printing outlet (Ofc. Depot, Kinkos, or a local printing firm) and have them run 24 copies on a color photocopier. My final cost is somewhere around $20 - $25 for what will turn out to be a little less than 250 cards. The cost for four color printing of the same image would be several hundred dollars.

The down side is that I must individually cut each card with a paper cutter because no color photo copier I know of will feed paper with the prcise accuracy professional printing machines have. There is always a bit of slippage of the paper. A bit time consuming, but a small price to pay.
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #3
Major Player

I print my own cards out as well with photopaper. If you go to have that sheet copied at OfficeMax, can they use the same thick paper? or will the photocopies be on thinner paper?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Have you looked at VistaPrint? (search google)

I got 250 cards for $30, full color, custom design, shipped
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #5
Major Player

The problem with .99 cent business cards is that they look like you paid .99 cents for them.

Look at www.48hourprint.com. You can order free samples. The quality is very good for the price.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I've been getting mine from www.overnightprints.com

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:38 PM   #7
Major Player

A rather old thread but still useful.

I decided to try out overnightprints.com that Chris mentioned. I ordered them Monday morning. By that night, the status showed them already printed and awaiting shipping via UPS Ground. They arrived today (Friday).

The quality is very good IMO. And they are thick, sturdy cards. I got the free UV coating which makes the card face super glossy.

My new biz card is pretty un-flashy with only the biz name, web address, and phone number.

I thought the price was good for 500. It was definitely cheaper than what local printers were going to charge. So I'd recommend overnightprints.com now as well.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:20 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Get mine from Sky's The Limit Printing and Graphics locally. 5000 full color double sided UV coated cards for 89.95 plus tax.

Beautiful!

M
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:41 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Emery View Post
I decided to try out overnightprints.com that Chris mentioned.
Glad that worked out for you, Jeff -- those guys get all my business these days. They are a class act all the way around with a diversified product line and their online ordering process is terrific. I'm always happy to recommend them.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Major Player

4over

4over is the only printer that offers inexpensive spot UV, which is a nice way to make your logo stand out. They also have 16pt (1pt thicker than overnightprints' stock.) UV and Matte at just $24 for 1000 with free shipping.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:06 PM   #11
Inner Circle

i like http://gotprint.net/g/welcome.do
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:23 PM   #12
Major Player

I would never hand a client a cheap .99 cent business card. It just shows how much you DON'T care.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:46 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bray View Post
I would never hand a client a cheap .99 cent business card. It just shows how much you DON'T care.
And in this business, it's a sure bet that your client will translate that .99 card into the work that you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
Get mine from Sky's The Limit Printing and Graphics locally. 5000 full color double sided UV coated cards for 89.95 plus tax.

Beautiful!

M

Hey Mike, wanna mail me a card? I'd like to see what $90 will get you...

I saw what appeared to be their website.... looks a bit cheesey, but if they do quality work....
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:07 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah View Post
And in this business, it's a sure bet that your client will translate that .99 card into the work that you do.

Hey Mike, wanna mail me a card? I'd like to see what $90 will get you...

I saw what appeared to be their website.... looks a bit cheesey, but if they do quality work....
Kit,

I'm out and getting new ones made now, as soon as I finish the design. If you want to PM your address to me I'll send you one. They are 12 point I believe, standard thickness, and the ones we got for our up-coming movie production were 16 point. The 16 point are very thick and really stand out, plus we did not need 5000 cards. The 16 point are 79.00 for 1000. I can send you one of those right now. In fact, I may get 16 point this time.

Basically, just look around for a real printing shop and don't go to Staples, or Office Depot or somewhere like that. Almost every printing shop sends the order to a specialty shop for the actual printing. Even the one I mentioned does that.

When I go back to the shop I'll get you a price list too! They have some great packages with business cards and post cards too. My memory says 345.00 for 1000 business cards and 1000 3 x 5 postcards. That's what I'm thinking of doing right now. I'm working on the postcard design, that's whats been holding me up.

Too long here. :)

Mike
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bray View Post
Since 5000 cards at .99 per card would cost you $4,950.00, I would never do it either! :) :)

M

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business