Overseas Payment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 29th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Overseas Payment

Anyone have an opinion on the most conducive way to handle an overseas payment? I.e. A customer who wants to pay a deposit, then payment in full, but from lets say a European country.
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Paypal? Wire Transfer? Credit Card?
Old October 27th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Overseas Payment

Looking back at all my posts, I saw this one and wanted to update it. The 'over seas payment' actually ended up being fraud. I was targeted more than once with fake payments. Be careful out there.
Old October 28th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah I get a lot of scam requests. They usually start with do you take a credit card.

Anyhow I have done some work for companies overseas in Europe. I am in California. In those situations Paypal worked great. Fees ended up being not that much different than a wire transfer. Paypal was easier and more secure. Sent them an invoice from Paypal for the deposit. Shot the project and sent the files via google drive and another invoice through Paypal. It all worked out every time I have done it. I do carefully screen to make sure they are a legit production company, and the assignment is for a legit client.
Old October 28th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #5
Trustee

Once you’ve cleared the client and feel that aren’t fraudsters (and vice versa), the PayPal route is a good way to go. We’ve used PayPal for numberous European € and $ transactions over the past dozen years and it’s worked out very well.

If one does many transactions it would be worth considering having two PayPal accounts, one for Euros and the other for Dollars.

Another aspect of using PayPal is the ability to refund a deposit within a time limit at no cost. I am not personally doing the accounting part, but I think one is allowed a month to do a refund at no-cost.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business