DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Social on invoice? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/8732-social-invoice.html)

Josh Bass April 17th, 2003 03:53 PM

Social on invoice?

I just did a paid gig, and the guy I worked for wants an invoice with several things on it, including my social security number. Is this normal practice? Isn't your social one of those things people can use to do bad things to yoU?

Harry Settle April 17th, 2003 04:13 PM

No, no, no, no! Don't do it! Uh UH! Ixnay! Fuggiddaboutit.

Not a good idea.

Chris Hurd April 17th, 2003 04:25 PM

Yes, you do need to include it, for tax purposes. They need either an EID (employer identification number) or your SSN. If you're in business for yourself, this will be a common practice. Whoever hired you will need to issue a Form 1099 to the IRS which identifies you as a receiver of their money, usually marked as "non-employee compensation" or "other income." You'll get a copy of it at the end of the year for your own tax purposes, but unless your business has a federal ID number, then you'll need to use your SSN instead. It's nothing to worry about; I've been doing it this way myself for years. Generally this is done any time an amount over $1000 changes hands as in paid gigs like this. Hope this helps,

Jeff Donald April 17th, 2003 04:28 PM

It think a lot of businesses have tighten up. I get 1099ed on almost any amount these days. Some companies have me invoice my labor separate from my expenses. So, I might submit an invoice for mileage and they 1099 me for $10.

Mark Argerake April 18th, 2003 08:49 AM

Yup - It's a tax thing. And like Jeff said any amout can be 1099'd. Whenever I contract anyone to do anything, they get 1099'd.

Josh Bass April 18th, 2003 09:15 PM

I've never been 1099d. . .

Chris Hurd April 18th, 2003 10:01 PM

If they're asking for your SSN, then you're about to be 1099'ed. Nothing to fear. In fact you'll have a hard time getting paid without it.

John Heskett April 19th, 2003 07:36 AM

I even got 1099'ed for a small job I did for an order of nuns. So is life.

Richard Alvarez April 19th, 2003 07:56 AM

Getting an EIN (Employers Identification Number) is part of being a business. Take it seriously, and you get treated seriously. It's a nine-digit number, like a SS# only it's divided differently.

Instead of 000 -12 -3456
It's 00-0000123

If you are dealing with professional businesses, they will expect your SS# or aTIN/EIN

Harry Settle April 19th, 2003 08:31 AM

The SSN thing has been a source of aggravation to me for years. While "they" are telling you to safeguard your SSN with your life, at the same time "they" keep demanding your SSN for everything.

I know as a Sole-propietor you don't need a federal ID, and can use your SSN instead. However, I have been advised that it may be well worth the hassel to get the fed number. Especially in light of the events going on with identity theft nowadays.

Just my opinion.

Josh Bass April 19th, 2003 07:31 PM

Well, if my identity gets stolen, I'll fly to Lousiana (where this guy's company is based) and kick his ass. They won't be able to charge me with assault as I'll have no identity, or they'll come to the conclusion that I kicked my OWN ass, and drop the charges.