Patent Notice - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 30th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #16
Video Bear

The royalties may be reasonable...but is anybody paying them? I sure haven't heard of any producers who are.

And if the patent holder isn't enforcing their rights, they will lose those rights. That's why patent and copyright holders often pursue violators so vigorously...it isn't that they think they are going to recover millions of dollars from some little guy. They just don't want the next Big Guy's lawyer to point out to the judge that they let thousands of little guys get away with it for years.
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #17
Wrangler

I suspect it runs about like copyright enforcement. They don't go after things that fly below the radar such as most one-man-band wedding operations. And MPEG encoding is probably a technology with a relatively short useful life (measured more likely in years, not decades or centuries) before it is superceeed so there is no long term business reason to be overly anal about it, unlike Mickey Mouse who will be popular and generate revenue forever.

But things with high symbolic value (students swapping songs vs RIAA) or that have a high dollar impact (Napster, or major distribution activity) where there is real money (and no political support for "the little guy") do make good targets. Also, producers, who want their intellectual property protected and respected, have a corresponding build-in incentive to comply.
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #18
Major Player

I believe that when you mass produce a DVD, those fees are included in the replication cost. It would suggest that if you are burning them yourself you should pay, but I don't think they are interested in filling out all the paperwork to get $0.30.
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Well, can we get a definitive answer? Must we pay a fee if we sell
dvds or not? I have never heard of this, but maybe some of you other independent fillmmakers know the law here. Been studying this field for years and reading professional publications and have never heard of this. Maybe I've missed something.
Dale Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
I think this is pretty standard text from MPEG LA. For example, take a look at the Final Cut Pro license:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/finalcutpro51.pdf

and the DVD Studio Pro license agreement:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/dvdstudiopro41.pdf
I have the exact same verbiage in my F350 user's manual regarding the use of the MPEG4 proxy material for commercial use.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business