Using copyrighted music in your videos... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 26th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #1
High School Student

Using copyrighted music in your videos...

Hey, I was just wondering if it's ok to use copyrighted music in your videos? Since all the crap I make is just for personal use, and will be on my website soon, for free, is there any reason to not use popular music that is copywritten, without permission? Should I try to get music from mp3.com and get the bands permission and stuff? I know a few bands that are good, and I have gotten permission from 2 of them to use their music on their cd's...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Alex,

Don't put someone elses music up on your site, without their permission.

It IS illegal.

Richard
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 07:32 PM   #3
Warden

Alex, thanks for posting. You can find the answers to many of your questions by using the search function. The button in the upper right will get you started.

The question of copyrights has been discussed here in great detail in several threads. Several lawyers have also participated in the discussions as well. As a starter this link about 10 Copyright Myths might also be of interest.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business