Making a propostion for a new tv-show at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 5th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Making a propostion for a new tv-show

I have a idea about a tv show that I think will work.
Now I have good contacts with a tv-station here in Sweden. But the thing is
when I present the Idea, I don't want it to look "summercamp" so I need all pointers regarding how to best elaborate and present such an idea.
How does one construct a format like this, I mean in writing.
Does anybody have something that they used and that I can at look just to get the hint of what a proposition looks like. Just to use as some kind of template.

regards
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't have a template or anything, but I've worked on something similar. Basically, you'll want to have a concise treatment of what your show is all about, including your target demographic (young adults, pre-teens, children, etc) your show format (13x22, aka 13 shows 22 minutes long each, a half hour thing) and the type of show, IE drama, comedy, action.

After that, it'd be good to have a bible which would include short summaries (no more than a page each, I'd say, maybe a paragraph at least) of each show in your first season (or maybe 10 episodes). They'll need to see you actually have a plan outside your first show. If you've got a pilot script as well, great, and character designs with their personality, story, and any feelings for other characters would be good. I'd break it down like this:

Treatment
Characters
Bible
Pilot

Of course, if you're on good terms try to get an in person meeting. There, just be very passionate about your show, and bring an extra couple spins on your idea, in case they already have something like what you're doing in the works. Then you can present it, and leave your on-paper treatment of the show. Just make it as to-the-point as possible.

Hopefully someone can harsh elaborate on this, but I think I've given you the bare basics... sorry I don't have a template for you!
Kyle Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Pilot

Get it together and make your pilot ! Nothing speaks louder than the product !
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Trustee

Ideas are not worth much anymore, everybody has them, a lot of them good. In order to actual have an idea that is worth something you either need to be in a unique position to deliver your idea in a way that nobody else could OR, do as John says and make it real with a pilot.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Major Player

To further this a step.Let's say he spends the time/bucks and shoots a pilot and/or short series.Let's say it's pretty good, needs a little adjusting in future shows.But the premise of the show is good.Then what should he do?
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Trustee

Start pitching it... you might start at production companies if you cant get access to the people you are after at first.

ash =o)
Old April 15th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Rich Christensen, the guy that hosts the TV show "Pinks" on Speed Channel said his day job is "selling TV shows".

Is there people with "ins" in the industry that you can hire to pitch for you or something, or does this guy do something completely else?
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Trustee

Most networks will not even look at anything that is not from someone they have a relationship with. There will be a middle man or production company that will tack on their fee as part of the budget.

ash =o)
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I managed to pitch face to face to commissioning editor of ITV Daytime in Britain, just by going on a course in London...

A lot of really good media training schemes are not only good info, but amazing networking opportunities. Keep your eyes open for any regional training schemes or maybe ones hosted by broadcasters.

He absolutely hated my idea though, and made sure i knew it.

so make sure it's a good one!
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business