Filming on the street in Hollywood blvd/Sunset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Filming on the street in Hollywood blvd/Sunset

I'd like to grab some film footage asking passer's-bye questions on either Sunset or Hollywood blvd. Has anyone any experience of doing this? my understanding is that LA is now extremely aggressive about film permit compliance (even to the extent of jumping out on people filming their family in parks) - I have no problem with the idea of paying LA city/county for doing this, but the additional riders about Workman's comp, off-duty police presence etc. aren't appropriate here (I don't earn my living doing this and the crew is just me with a small cam).
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I found the area around the Chinese Theater to be OK, but if you end up on Sunset inside the Beverly Hills jurisdiction be prepared for police to move you along. However, you will face a hefty fine if the police are in bad mood and nab you for filming without a permit. If you get hassled and you're young, try the "I'm making a student film" routine.
Geoff Dills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Geoff; I'll try to pass as a college student (I'll break out my old "keep on truckin' T-shirt" - kids still wear those, right..?). I'll try to avoid the Beverly Hills jurisdiction, as you suggest.
Greg
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Major Player

I was out filming stuff during the Oscar's walking by rows and rows of police, so I think you are probably fine in that area of town.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business