Anyone had problems shooting at Venice Beach, CA? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 19th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone had problems shooting at Venice Beach, CA?

Is Venice Beach one of those places in LA where the police strictly enforce film permits?
Thanks
Greg
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

it all depends on what you are doing and how many persons ! also weekend there are more police out then during the week ..
if you are out with a hand size camera and one- two other person should be no problem ... if you are out with crew, boom pole , actors you'll need a permit ..

the less persons and the more you look /act like tourist the least likely you'll be stopped ...

there are area's of venice beach where there are few people during the week but if you want all the venice activity -people , skaters, bikini's, basketball, weight lifters then stay low key & small ...shoulder size camera's are hard to hide ..
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Greg, I shot there with my sony 570, "bigger camera" and had no problems at all. We we're shooting b-roll and M.O.S interviews for a documentary we were doing. We did not have a permit, and we shot there for about an hour or so. Granted it was during the week, but it was later in the day and there we police present, and a lot of people. No one bothered us. It also was just me and a producer. Not a big crew, that would draw attention. I do know that you do need a permit to shoot in a lot of places around LA. The Santa Monica Pier for example.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bournes View Post
Greg, I shot there with my sony 570, "bigger camera" and had no problems at all. We we're shooting b-roll and M.O.S interviews for a documentary we were doing. We did not have a permit, and we shot there for about an hour or so. Granted it was during the week, but it was later in the day and there we police present, and a lot of people. No one bothered us. It also was just me and a producer. Not a big crew, that would draw attention. I do know that you do need a permit to shoot in a lot of places around LA. The Santa Monica Pier for example.
I gotta ask, how do you shoot an interview MOS since MOS means "Mit Out Sound." Isn't getting sound the whole point of an interview <grin>.
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Steve M.O.S is short for "man on the street" interviews.
Old June 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Don and Mark, this makes me feel more comfortable about the shoot - it's just me with a V1U, no other crew and it's reality - I have a HC10 which I use if pushed to look like a tourist, but prefer the V1U of course.

Mark, my first thought, like Steve, when you wrote about shooting an interview MOS was that you were shooting sans sound - shows how green I am.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Off topic Mark, but Steve's right, that's a badddd acronym. I looked at the "MOS" too and thought "doesn't that mean without sound?".
Bert Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #8
Major Player

If you've ever worked at any news station, local or national they all use that acronym. it is very common place.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business