Banking... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 24th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Banking...

Getting ready to open a business account and I've been doing my research as far as banks are concerned... I know we all don't have the same banks (because we live in different areas).

But WHO DO YOU do business banking with?

I'm between

Wells Fargo

Citibank

Bank of America
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #2
Trustee

I prefer not to use the big banks. I use a small community bank located about a mile away from my house. It makes it convienent for making deposits of checks I get thru the mail and I can walk in and talk to a real person to resolve any issues. I have also been looking at setting up PayPal credit card payments and having payments transferred to my bank account but need to explore this service's reliability a little more.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #3
Trustee

I live between two branches of a Bank of America. I started banking there when I moved to Florida and didn't have any branches of my bank within 100 miles.

So far so good. They offer a lot of services.

I don't think it matters where you bank. You want one with lots of branches if you need to use an ATM (I never do). You want one with lots of branches if you travel a lot (I do).

Pick one based on what they can do for you, and what they charge to do it.

Of the ones on your list, I would choose B of A, but I would consider what Mark had to say very strongly if it suits your needs.
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Wrangler

small community banks rule!

where everybody knows your name.

wells fargo has too many layers of managers, none of whom seem to be around to approve transactions in a timely fashion.

at my local bank, the manager's door is open, and we've gone out for drinks....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Major Player

I was going to go with bank of America, but the small business checking account they wanted to set me up with would require a minimum balance and an annual maintence fee unless I maintain a certain cash flow every month. US bank on the other hand gave me free small business checking with no restrictions, so I went with US Bank.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #6
Major Player

My "business" account is actually a personal account with a DBA (Doing Business As).

I get free checking, no minimum balance requirement, and my customers can make their checks payable to my business name. I don't have a credit card merchant status, but by using paypal, I can accept CC payments then transfer it to my bank account.

My bank is regional. I do all my banking and loans through them. I like that when I walk in the branch I use, all the major people (Manager, Loan Officers,etc) know who I am and call me by name. I'm sure the fact that I have a substantial balance and an excellent credit rating helps.

I bank with First Federal Bank. Funny thing... I have yet to come across Second Federal Bank.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Emery; July 25th, 2007 at 03:37 AM.
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #7
Wrangler

I send all my money to Chris Hurd. He buries it in a steel box in his backyard for me. He says when I need it he'll even help me dig it back up.
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #8
Wrangler

Please, let's keep the discussion centered on the original question of which bank to choose. Political comments about the nature of the US banking system will be removed.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #9
Outer Circle

I have a Bank of America Platinum CC card. They're really good though I like the idea of burying money in a box.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #10
Major Player

When burying money in a box, I prefer to burry gold. It never goes out of style...

But as far as a bank, I use Chase. A starter business account seems to have met all of my needs so far. And there's room to upgrade if I need to later.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business