Basic Questions about slow-mo and 24 frames at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Basic Questions about slow-mo and 24 frames

I will be filming my first short starting this weekend. From what I have gathered on the boards, I should film in 24 p(f) on my Canon A1 with a 1/48 shutter? That gives the best motion correct? What about pans? Do they need to be real slow to avoid issues?
And any part I want in slow motion should be filmed in 60i 1/60 shutter? How well does that work for putting them both on 1 timeline? I use Premiere Pro 2 to eedit (3 once I`m done filming). The sow motion will mostly be walking, yelling, things like that...no fast action stuff.

Thanks guys
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Film the slow motion stuff at 60i 120/sec, that way the motion signature would match the 24p material (i.e. 120=60x2::48=2x24)

Exposure will take a hit, but it would be just the same if you were shooting on film.

Speed of pans are only an issue if you are panning across static material (which IMHOM never looks great) in such a case then yes, pan slowly. If you are panning with a moving object (a person waling or a car driving for example) then you'll be fine.

Don't know enough about Premiere pro, sorry.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Major Player

I thought 1/60th was the best bet for anything 60i?
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Sure, but in this case, it's not 60i, it's pseudo 60p that will be slowed down to 24p.

A film camera shooting at 60fps would have a shutter speed of 120/sec, so that's what you want to simulate for 24p slow mo.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Major Player

ok i will try it and come back later to learn how to slow it properly...once i have a computer that can edit HDV :D

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production