30 second commercial spot help needed quickly at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #1
Major Player

30 second commercial spot help needed quickly

I'm completing a 30 second commercial spot for a client. I have 30 seconds of bars and tone and then into the 30 sec spot. I would like to know if there is anything else I need to add/or do to do this right? Any graphic at the beginning to identify the spot or ..? I've been doing video work but not commercial spots. Any guidance is appreciated.
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Depending on how the piece will be used, I would consider adding a 10 sec countdown (nothing fancy). If they are playing your tape from a control room, this will help the tape-op. If not, it can always be ignored when edited into a package.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Oren,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't add a countdown. Appreciate the help.
Lisa
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Different broadcasters have different requirements but most like to see about 1 minute of bars and tone followed by the countdown clock with slate info. Some prefer that the last 3 seconds before start of program will be black, others want 10 seconds of slate followed by 10 seconds of black and you may wish to include a "2-pop" (1 frame of 1kHz tone exactly 2 seconds before start of program) as well.
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I've seen companies list the client, name of the spot, total running time (TRT), the editor's and producer's name and their company logo, along with the countdown and the "beep" Steve House recommended at the number "2."

heath
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi,

I have the spot completed but thinking about adding the logo to the slate. That's a good idea that I had not heard about before.

Appreciate everyone's help.
Lisa
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett View Post
Hi,

I have the spot completed but thinking about adding the logo to the slate. That's a good idea that I had not heard about before.

Appreciate everyone's help.
Lisa
The logo itself might be superfluous but the company name and copyright notice absolutely needs to be there.
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

Advertising, logo-wise, I'd assume. But yes to the copyright and other info! (Just echoing here.)

heath
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #9
Major Player

I added company name on the slate as well as the client, TRT, etc. I didn't add a copyright notice and think I should.

Thanks again,
Lisa
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #10
Regular Crew

The only real thing you need to ad is the name of your company, color bars and tone (30-60sec), client name, spot title/number, any info on the spot that will help you identify it later (date of edit/editor name/producer name/shoot date, etc.) and contact information. Everything else is pretty much superfluous.

If you have that information included, then if there are any problems with the footage there can be a clear line of communication between you and the station airing the spot.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Plunkett View Post
The only real thing you need to ad is the name of your company, color bars and tone (30-60sec), client name, spot title/number, any info on the spot that will help you identify it later (date of edit/editor name/producer name/shoot date, etc.) and contact information. Everything else is pretty much superfluous.

If you have that information included, then if there are any problems with the footage there can be a clear line of communication between you and the station airing the spot.
It basically comes down to what the station wants. Get their spec and give them what they want. This may mean you have to create a few different version for our client. Explain this & bill appropriately.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:47 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks again everyone for the tips. The commercial went well and all completed. Getting tips from all of you was extra helpful.

Thanks a bunch,
Lisa
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #13
Tourist

Update on the VT Clock

The correct name for the clock was: VT Clock or VT Countdown Clock (VT=videotape)
This 45 sec clock was used in the 2-inch tape and then in the 1-inch tape days. Placed in front of the programme. You typed the programme name or/and episode followed by part 1 of 1 or 2 or whatever. Many production companies also added their little logo at the bottom.
Why 45 sec countdown? The clock had many uses e.g. for transmission or to identify visually that an insert for a life Television broadcast was cued and rolling. Mostly you cued the tape at the 15sec to go mark and at the 3sec to go mark the clock cut to white for one frame with a 1 kHz tone. Thereafter it was black until the zero mark when programme content faded up.
The 45sec countdown was for post production, syncing 2 inch audio tape. To sync the old AVR machine and a 2-inch audio “deck” took sometime
With the arrival of Betacam tapes there were no need for a 30 sec countdown clock as Beta tapes were usually parked at 4 sec before picture started. The VTR froze 1 frame of the clock which gave the studio producer a visual indication what insert on VT is standing by.
In the digital environment, there is no need for a clock but if you archiving to tape, you still need to add an ID upfront and that is why there are so many young editors that want to use the old ticker!
For commercial uses: The clock is use to ID the product on tape. 1st, the Title of the commercial, next the code for the commercial. This code is similar to the Tape ID found in Avid products when you sending edited material for transmission. In South Africa we refer to it as a SLUG NAME. This code looks like this: Say the commercial is about Pretty Dolls and is 30 sec long, then the code would look like this: PDOL/001/030/E where the “001” is the first in a series or the first commercial, “030” is the duration of the commercial and “E” is for the language. The next line of information is the production house where the commercial was edited or produced, including a telephone number. All this information must be printed on the sticker that goes on to the tape and cover box as well as attached documentations.
Regardless of the “tapeless” environment commercials are still delivered to Broadcasters on tape. I found a downloadable version of this clock at www:indefilms.net
Just remember, the 2sec tone “blib” is an Academy standard = film and the 3sec “blib” is a Television standard world wide.
Stephan de Lange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production