Non-staining blood recipe? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 12th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Non-staining blood recipe?

I need fake blood that won`t stain clothes. I have to do some pick up shots that can`t be scedules until after the death scene and the costume can`t get replicated. Anyone know of any?
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

For costume blood, I use a mix of baby shampoo and food coloring. Food coloring generally WILL stain clothes, but the baby shampoo seems to act as a surfectant, and if you get to it quickly will usually wash out. My advice is to test it on a sample of the clothing you plan to use, and don't let it dry in place.

Find clear baby shampoo if you can, a pale blue is next best, it tends to darken the red to a deeper wine colour.

Most people like a drop of blue with their red food coloring, some prefer a drop of green. Again, best to test the mixture under lighting conditions to see how it will replicate against the color costume and actor's skin.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Nathan,

In a shoot a few months ago, we used Karo Syrup and red food dye. We even added a little cocoa too darken it.

We tried very hard to keep it off of everything, because we thought it would stain it! Turned out that it would not stain at all. Everything it was spilled on, accidentally or on purpose, washed up easily and didn't stain at all.
Even place mats that were going to be tossed out, cleaned up a week later with no stains.

I think it has to do with the mixing of the food dye without water.

Test it first, but it worked fine for use. And of course, it doesn't taste bad either!

Mike
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Trustee

If you search around the web there's a recipe that uses corn syrup that we thought would stain, but washed out of everything. I think it was corn syrup, red food coloring (the whole dropper bottle) and some milk or flour to make it opaque.
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The standard Kayro syrup formula WILL stain clothes/costumes. I know this for a fact. I've got costumes stained with it. I produced stage combat for more than a decade.

Granted, if you can get it to soap and water quickly enough, there's a good chance it won't stain. But if you are leaving it on for any length of time, my reccomendation is to go the baby shampoo route.

Trust me on this one.

Obviously, if you need to put the 'blood' in someone's mouth... go with the Kayro/corn syrup formula.

(I once made the mistake of mixing up the shampoo pack with the kayro pack, put the wrong one in my mouth.)

But as always, when in doubt, mix up BOTH formulas and test on a sample of the fabric.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production