Implications of not having independant Iris/shutter control?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 24th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Implications of not having independant Iris/shutter control??

Hey guys, Im a complete novice looking for a camera.

The cams Im looking at have some degree of manual control, BUT dont have independance between Iris and shutter speed.

So I can set the shutter speed, and the gain/iris will be automatically added, OR I can set the iris, and the shutter will be adjusted.

Can someone explain the implicationsof this to me please? I have built a 35mm dof device, so I need to able to lock the iris and prevent it opening too far, BUT what will this mean if I cant adjust my shutter??

If the image is too dark (or the camera thinks it is) and I have locked the iris, wont it reduce the shutter speed??

Mnay thanks
Jim
tbip2001
James Millward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #2
Trustee

It will only reduce the shutter to a certain speed. Since you live in PAL land, it will default down to 1/50 shutter which looks fine. Regardless, not having manual control of the exposure will be very challenging when using a 35mm adapter.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production