The film look with interlaced cameras: Doctor Who & Dirty Jobs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 27th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #1
Major Player

The film look with interlaced cameras: Doctor Who & Dirty Jobs

If you have watched the new series of the BBC's Doctor Who or the newest episodes of Dirty Jobs on the Discovery channel, you may be aware that both of these programs are shot with interlaced video, and then given a "film look" in post production. The thing that amazes me (especially with Doctor Who) is that they look like they were genuinely shot on film, and not merely altered to look like film. Heck, they look more like real film than when shooting with natively progressive video IMO. They lack the strobing the 24p video gives you. My question is: how do they make it look so convincing? What software are they using?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Major Player

How do you know they aren't shooting progressive?
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis Hahn View Post
On Dirty Jobs, you can see the cameras they are using. On Doctor Who, I've spoken to members of the production team. They shoot interlaced video and then give it a film look in post production. And it looks fantastic.
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

they're probably shooting 60i or 50i and then converting to a kind of 24 with pulldown in editing. I've done this by basically making a 24p project in Vegas and bringing in the 60i footage. Output as a 24 quicktime, then bring that file into a 60i project and export. I'm no editor, but that gave me a pretty decent 24 with pulldown.
Sean Skube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis Hahn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Skube View Post
they're probably shooting 60i or 50i and then converting to a kind of 24 with pulldown in editing. I've done this by basically making a 24p project in Vegas and bringing in the 60i footage. Output as a 24 quicktime, then bring that file into a 60i project and export. I'm no editor, but that gave me a pretty decent 24 with pulldown.
Without the "strobe" of native 24p video? That would be nice.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Trustee

Doctor Who is a British show, I wouldn't be surprised if they just deinterlace the 50i and the production value gives it the rest of the film look they need.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter View Post
Doctor Who is a British show, I wouldn't be surprised if they just deinterlace the 50i and the production value gives it the rest of the film look they need.
Doesn't deinterlacing reduce the quality of the image, though?
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Major Player

There is no way of going from 60i to 24p without loosing some quality.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #9
DVi Contributor

Dr. Who is shot on DIGIBETA. Sony came out a few years back( 2 i believe ) with this camera in 24P mode. Several years too late imo to save the format as a production camera, however is full 4:2:2 . with very little compression, so that probably helps with the richness of the colors.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Camera

The Quality of the footage from Doctor Who is great. What camera are they shooting the show with?
Jeff Whitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Major Player

I also would like to know what camera is it shot on?
The show has a great distinctive look!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM   #12
Regular Crew

settings

I have read somewhere that of course the camera settings are a "trade secret". But none the less a camera that shows that quality, is definitely something to strive for. The shows are in my opinion just as good as HD.
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM   #13
New Boot

Am I the only person who doesn't think Dr Who looks particularly filmic. I watch Dr Who all the time (my son is a massive fan) and whenever I'm watching it I always think to myself "why don't they apply a little filmlook to the footage?". The ITV-DrWho-wannabe-show Primeval looks more filmic(too bad it's badly written). But that's just my opinion. Maybe my eyes are crooked or my TV is broken.
Rashdan Radha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

camera

The Camera is a DigiBeta

I humbly have to disagree.

Although the footage is not entirely film like in appearance, it definitely does not look like video. Since this is shot by a DigBeta camera (Comes with a high price tag) it gives the operator many camera available options.

I am most impressed by the clarity and color saturation/separation it resembles HD to me, that's just me.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:54 AM   #15
Major Player

Definitely Digibeta. The producers say that they don't shoot in HD because they would not be able to maintain the special effects schedule if producing in HD. Though why they don't shoot in HD and then downcovert, keeping the FX files around for upscaling later when HD is more widespread (and processing power cheaper by the gigahertz.) I don't know.

I have to say it screams de-interlaced video to me. The edge sharpening around the frequent areas of bleached out over exposure is obvious, and the DoPs on the show love very heavy back lighting, hard light and strong theatrical gels on the key and fill lights not things SD video has ever handled well. I think they should have left it 50i, like the old show!

An interesting film/HD comparison on British TV are the twinned shows Moving Wallpaper and Echo Beach. The former is shot on Super16 for gritty hand-held look, and the latter on HD for a high budget glossy look.

Primeval looks more filmy because it's Super16.

Last edited by Dylan Pank; April 3rd, 2008 at 04:30 AM.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production